Posted to users@solr.apache.org by "Rayner, June" <ra...@einetwork.net> on 2022/10/13 15:19:50 UTC

Solr SSL Troublshooting

Hi Folks

We are following the steps in the Securing Solr document<https://solr.apache.org/guide/8_11/enabling-ssl.html> to enable SSL for our Solr 8.11 installation.      We generated the certificate and a key, and updated the solr.in.sh file to enable the SSL related system properties.     When we restart Solr with SSL enabled, the log file shows that it's reading the keystore.p12 that we created and there are no error messages in the Solr log file, but we can't access the Solr Admin page.

In the Solr logs, we don't see any error messages, the only thing we see is two warning level messages

o.e.j.u.s.S.config No Client EndPointIdentificationAlgorithm configured for Client@4c1bdcc2[provider=null,keyStore=file:///opt/solr-8.11.1/server/etc/solr-ssl.keystore.p12,trustStore=file:///opt/solr-8.11.1/server/etc/solr-ssl<mailto:Client@4c1bdcc2[provider=null,keyStore=file:///opt/solr-8.11.1/server/etc/solr-ssl.keystore.p12,trustStore=file:///opt/solr-8.11.1/server/etc/solr-ssl>

2022-09-02 14:08:41.696 WARN  (main) [   ] o.a.s.c.CoreContainer Not all security plugins configured!  authentication=disabled authorization=disabled.  Solr is only as secure as you make it. Consider configuring authentication/authorization before exposing Solr to users

Can anyone suggest some next troubleshooting steps?      Is there a problem with the certificate itself?

Regards,

June Rayner
eiNetwork
raynerj@einetwork.net<ma...@einetwork.net>

The information contained in this e-mail, and any attachment, is confidential and is intended solely for the use of the intended recipient. Access, copying or re-use of the e-mail or any attachment, or any information contained therein, by any other person is not authorized. If you are not the intended recipient please return the e-mail to the sender and delete it from your computer. Although we attempt to sweep e-mail and attachments for viruses, we do not guarantee that either are virus-free and accept no liability for any damage sustained as a result of viruses.

RE: Solr SSL Troublshooting

Posted by "Rayner, June" <ra...@einetwork.net>.
Hi Neal

Brilliant - that works!    I'm also able to get to the Solr admin screen in a browser if I add https:// to the beginning of the URL.

Regards

June

Posted by Neal Tucker <nt...@august20th.com>.

RE: Solr SSL Troublshooting

Re: Solr SSL Troublshooting

Posted by Anshum Gupta <an...@anshumgupta.net>.

RE: Solr SSL Troublshooting

Posted by "Rayner, June" <ra...@einetwork.net>.
Hi Jan

Thanks for your response.     With the SSL configured,

we get an ERR_INVALID_HTTP_RESPONSE error when we access the solr admin URL in a browser

with cURL, we get the following
                curl localhost:8080/solr/#/dogs/query
                curl: (1) Received HTTP/0.9 when not allowed

There are 2 lines in the solr log that mention the Solr port
cat solr.log | grep 8080
2022-10-13 16:32:56.616 INFO  (main) [   ] o.a.s.s.SolrDispatchFilter / __| ___| |_ _   Starting in standalone mode on port 8080
2022-10-13 16:32:58.339 INFO  (main) [   ] o.e.j.s.AbstractConnector Started ServerConnector@18245eb0{SSL, (ssl, alpn, h2, http/1.1)}{0.0.0.0:8080}

These are the last lines in the log itself
2022-10-13 16:32:59.268 INFO  (searcherExecutor-17-thread-1-processing-x:biblio) [   x:biblio] o.a.s.c.QuerySenderListener QuerySenderListener done.
2022-10-13 16:32:59.268 INFO  (searcherExecutor-17-thread-1-processing-x:biblio) [   x:biblio] o.a.s.h.c.SpellCheckComponent Loading spell index for spellchecker: default
2022-10-13 16:32:59.269 INFO  (searcherExecutor-16-thread-1-processing-x:biblio2) [   x:biblio2] o.a.s.c.S.Request [biblio2]  webapp=null path=null params={q=science+art+business+engineering+history&facet.field=format&distrib=false&fq=format:book&event=firstSearcher} hits=0 status=0 QTime=98
2022-10-13 16:32:59.269 INFO  (searcherExecutor-16-thread-1-processing-x:biblio2) [   x:biblio2] o.a.s.c.QuerySenderListener QuerySenderListener done.
2022-10-13 16:32:59.271 INFO  (searcherExecutor-16-thread-1-processing-x:biblio2) [   x:biblio2] o.a.s.h.c.SpellCheckComponent Loading spell index for spellchecker: default
2022-10-13 16:32:59.301 INFO  (searcherExecutor-17-thread-1-processing-x:biblio) [   x:biblio] o.a.s.h.c.SpellCheckComponent Loading spell index for spellchecker: basicSpell
2022-10-13 16:32:59.304 INFO  (searcherExecutor-16-thread-1-processing-x:biblio2) [   x:biblio2] o.a.s.h.c.SpellCheckComponent Loading spell index for spellchecker: basicSpell
2022-10-13 16:32:59.324 INFO  (searcherExecutor-17-thread-1-processing-x:biblio) [   x:biblio] o.a.s.c.SolrCore [biblio]  Registered new searcher autowarm time: 0 ms
2022-10-13 16:32:59.328 INFO  (searcherExecutor-16-thread-1-processing-x:biblio2) [   x:biblio2] o.a.s.c.SolrCore [biblio2]  Registered new searcher autowarm time: 0 ms

Regards,

June

Re: Solr SSL Troublshooting

Posted by Jan Høydahl <ja...@cominvent.com>.