Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Stefano Nichele <st...@gmail.com> on 2008/11/04 19:40:30 UTC

Threads and blocked count value

  Hi All,
I'm running tomcat 6.0.13 + jdk 1.5 in my production system and I'm a
bit wondering about the number of times the "Reference Handler" thread
has been blocked in just 3 days: 9500835 (checked using jmx)

For the other http threads (the ones that start with "http-port-") as
average I have 24377 as blocked count.

What do you think about these numbers ?

Cheers and thanks in advance.
ste

RE: Threads and blocked count value

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Stefano Nichele [mailto:stefano.nichele@gmail.com]
> Subject: Threads and blocked count value
>
> I'm running tomcat 6.0.13 + jdk 1.5 in my production system and I'm a
> bit wondering about the number of times the "Reference Handler" thread
> has been blocked in just 3 days: 9500835 (checked using jmx)

The Reference Handler thread is internal to the JVM; it doesn't belong to Tomcat.  It's responsibility is to take care of objects that garbage collection has found to be unreachable other than via some form of Reference object (e.g., SoftReference, WeakReference).  Completely ignorable.

> What do you think about these numbers ?

Pretty much meaningless when taken out of context like this.

 - Chuck