Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com> on 2001/04/23 10:01:53 UTC

[vote] CVS messages

It seems that quite a few of the lurkers on this list are
unhappy with the CVS messages getting posted to this list.
In the case of Avalon it is smart for users to subscribe
to the dev list as their is lots of it going on that has
a big impact on users. Besides, they might learn a lot from
it =)

As an active developer, I too would rather see the CVS
messages on a different list.

The argument against this is that is Jakarta practice to
send CVS messages to the dev list. This is not true for
all of its projects though...

Wheighing pro and con, here's the proposal:

let's redirect all CVS messages to a separate avalon-cvs
list, for the reasons mentioned above.

(note to non-committers: it might be a good idea to make
yourself heard on this one...)

regards,

LSD

<java:sig>
	About LSD  = new PersonalInfo();
	LSD.name("Leo Simons");
	LSD.email("mail@leosimons.com");
	LSD.URL( [
		http://www.leosimons.com, // personal website
		http://www.atfantasy.com, // fantasy RPG portal
		http://www.the-sign.nl    // web-design company
	] );
	LSD.quote("Buh!");
	email.setSig((String)LSD);
</java:sig>

Re: [vote] CVS messages

Posted by Charles Benett <ch...@benett1.demon.co.uk>.
Fedor is correct. I filter commits into avalon/cornerstone/phoenix
locally.

-0 for leo's proposal. [Meaning, do it if you want to, but I think it is
a waste of time.]

Charles

Re: [vote] CVS messages

Posted by Fedor Karpelevitch <fe...@home.com>.

Re: [vote] CVS messages

Posted by Gautam Mani <g_...@vsnl.com>.
On Mon, Apr 23, 2001 at 10:01:53AM +0200, Leo Simons wrote:
> From: "Leo Simons" <ma...@leosimons.com>
> To: "Avalon Development" <av...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: [vote] CVS messages
> Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 10:01:53 +0200

[snip]

> let's redirect all CVS messages to a separate avalon-cvs
> list, for the reasons mentioned above.
>
> (note to non-committers: it might be a good idea to make
> yourself heard on this one...)

I would love to have the CVS messages on a different list. I do filter
my mail, but I think that getting these messages should be optional.
I don't read the CVS messages as most of the action happens
here ;). I have been following the list for a year or so, hence didn't
mind setting up the filter, but I guess it would really put off new
subscribers.

So, here's my +1 (for whatever its worth).

> regards,
>
> LSD

Cheers,
Gautam

--
uptime: 9:07pm up 19 min, 2 users, load average: 0.14, 0.14, 0.15
PGP Key: 0x7586EF34

Re: [vote] CVS messages

Posted by Mathieu Marache <ma...@cstb.fr>.
Been a silent reader, filters work fine the way it is, thankyou.
Mathieu

Re: [vote] CVS messages

Posted by Peter Donald <do...@apache.org>.
At 10:01  23/4/01 +0200, Leo Simons wrote:
>It seems that quite a few of the lurkers on this list are
>unhappy with the CVS messages getting posted to this list.
>In the case of Avalon it is smart for users to subscribe
>to the dev list as their is lots of it going on that has
>a big impact on users. Besides, they might learn a lot from
>it =)

+0 I redirect to a different mailbox already ;)
Cheers,

Pete