Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Martin Gregorie <ma...@gregorie.org> on 2009/06/02 17:54:11 UTC

Controlling spamd logging from spamc

How difficult would it be to let spamc control spamd's logging output on
a per-message basis?

My reason for asking is this: I maintain a body of spam that I use to
develop and regression test local rules and, during rule development,
use spamc to pass the test messages through my only copy of spamd. This
is useful because I can keep the test messages in a normal user on a
different host from the one running spamd and avoid local configuration
ambiguities. However, as part of my logwatch environment I run a perl
program to collect the day's spam stats. I find that the stats are
meaningless any day I develop and/or regression test rules because, of
course, spamd is logging these as well as actual mail. I should add
that, since my ISP introduced greylisting, the 'spam' logged during
regression testing is at least 12 times the volume of genuine spam
received that day, so the day's stats are meaningless and so are any
stats generated by scanning the whole of /var/log/maillog*

It would be useful for me to be able to disable spamd logging during
rule testing.

Would anybody else find this a useful feature too?

Martin

Re: Controlling spamd logging from spamc

Posted by Martin Gregorie <ma...@gregorie.org>.
On Thu, 2009-06-04 at 18:32 -0400, Jeff Mincy wrote:
> From: Martin Gregorie <ma...@gregorie.org>
>
> Wouldn't it be easier to run another spamd on a different machine for
> rule development and testing?  Or perhaps just running as a different
> 'test' user, and then ignore log messages for that user in the statistics.

I'm about to set that up today and get it integrated with cvs.

> >   Would anybody else find this a useful feature too?
>
> I've sometimes wanted the other way - eg get more debugging output for
> a particular message.

I think these are two sides of the same coin: if spamc could pass
debugging control flags to spamd via a message wrapper then it would be
simple to add the ability to control logging as well.