Posted to users@felix.apache.org by Bengt Rodehav <be...@rodehav.com> on 2010/04/09 14:26:35 UTC

Karaf 1.4.0 and ActiveMQ 5.3.1

Hi everyone!

I've been trying to get ActiveMQ 5.3.1 working on Karaf 1.4.0. I
started using the Karaf features provided by ActiveMQ 5.3.1
(org.apache.activemq/activemq-karaf/5.3.1/xml/features). However, I
then made my own version of it since the version provided by ActiveMQ
refers to Karaf 1.1.0-SNAPSHOT and Spring version 2.5.6. I wanted to
use Karaf 1.4.0 and Spring 2.5.6.SEC01.

Anyway, regardless of which version of feature file I use, I get
unresolved constraints when trying to install the activemq feature.
The missing package is "javax.annotation". The workaround for me has
been to modiy the config.properties file in Karaf and add the
following line (both for jre-1.5 and jre-1.6):

 javax.annotation; version=1.0.0, \

Is this a known problem? Am I doing it the write way? Why doesn't
Karaf export javax.annotation by default?

/Bengt

Re: Karaf 1.4.0 and ActiveMQ 5.3.1

Posted by Bengt Rodehav <be...@rodehav.com>.
Thanks for your answer Guillaume,

What you say makes sense - I didn't think about the fact that
javax.annotation is not present in JDK 5.

I guess a better solution for me then (instead of manipulating
config.properties) is to change my features definition so that the
activemq feature is dependent on the bundle:

mvn:org.apache.geronimo.specs/geronimo-annotation_1.0_spec/1.1.1

/Bengt

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
It's a kinda hard problem to decide which packages to export or not.
The solution that has been used was to export packages that are present in
JDK 5 only,  so that all new features from JDK 6 are not available.  The
reason is to make sure that people can run without changes on both JDK 5 and
6.
When we need such a package, we usually deploy a bundle providing this
package, such as:

http://repo2.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/geronimo/specs/geronimo-annotation_1.0_spec/1.1.1/geronimo-annotation_1.0_spec-1.1.1.jar

On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 14:26, Bengt Rodehav <be...@rodehav.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone!
>
> I've been trying to get ActiveMQ 5.3.1 working on Karaf 1.4.0. I
> started using the Karaf features provided by ActiveMQ 5.3.1
> (org.apache.activemq/activemq-karaf/5.3.1/xml/features). However, I
> then made my own version of it since the version provided by ActiveMQ
> refers to Karaf 1.1.0-SNAPSHOT and Spring version 2.5.6. I wanted to
> use Karaf 1.4.0 and Spring 2.5.6.SEC01.
>
> Anyway, regardless of which version of feature file I use, I get
> unresolved constraints when trying to install the activemq feature.
> The missing package is "javax.annotation". The workaround for me has
> been to modiy the config.properties file in Karaf and add the
> following line (both for jre-1.5 and jre-1.6):
>
>  javax.annotation; version=1.0.0, \
>
> Is this a known problem? Am I doing it the write way? Why doesn't
> Karaf export javax.annotation by default?
>
> /Bengt

Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet
Blog: http://gnodet.blogspot.com/