Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Randy Terbush <ra...@zyzzyva.com> on 1997/01/12 03:14:47 UTC

cvs sanity check

Just to check before I blow something...

I'm working with the RELEASE_1_1_X branch. I'm about to tag that
branch with:

cvs tag RELEASE_1_1_2

This should only apply to the RELEASE_1_1_X branch, no?

or should it be:

cvs tag -rRELEASE_1_1_x RELEASE_1_1_2

Re: cvs sanity check

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>.
On Sat, 11 Jan 1997, Randy Terbush wrote:

> Just to check before I blow something...
>
> I'm working with the RELEASE_1_1_X branch. I'm about to tag that
> branch with:
>
> cvs tag RELEASE_1_1_2
>
> This should only apply to the RELEASE_1_1_X branch, no?

I think it should do what you want.

The trick is that I wouldn't really view tags as applying to branches with
cvs;  branches don't really exist in cvs, they are just an easy way to
have more than one current revision.  The place where it is applied isn't
really seperated by branches, so it sortof applies to all branches.  There
are places where cvs is very broken WRT how it handles branches, depending
on what version you use.

Re: cvs sanity check

Posted by Alexei Kosut <ak...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>.
On Sat, 11 Jan 1997, Randy Terbush wrote:

> Just to check before I blow something...
>
> I'm working with the RELEASE_1_1_X branch. I'm about to tag that
> branch with:
>
> cvs tag RELEASE_1_1_2
>
> This should only apply to the RELEASE_1_1_X branch, no?

Same difference. cvs tag will create the tag and place it on the
versions of the files you're tagging. If some of those tags happen to
be branched files, the tag really doesn't care. In other words, if I
check out the RELEASE_1_1_2 tag, I will be checking out in the
RELEASE_1_1_x branch, because all the versions the RELEASE_1_1_2 tag
encompasses are in that branch.

As someone else pointed out, branches and tags don't really
exist. They're just a convenient way of organizing RCS version
numbers.

Alexei Kosut <ak...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>      The Apache HTTP Server