Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Sushil Bhattarai <su...@hotmail.com> on 2002/12/24 16:39:09 UTC

wsproxy generator

Hello

Does wsproxy generator work only with xform or does it work for any url. If
it works for any url, does that url need to return xml output? If it doesn't
how to get around it?

I'm trying to call a url which basically returns html. But I want to
serialize this as xml and put it in my pipeline so that I can manipulate the
xml and extract whatever I want to. Is this possible using wsproxy or am I
in the wrong direction. Can I do this to get yahoo page as xml

<map:match pattern="yahoo">
       <map:generate type="wsproxy" src="http://www.yahoo.com"/>
          <map:serialize type="xml"/>
        </map:match>

Thanks
Sushil

MSN 8 with e-mail virus protection service: 3 months FREE*.
http://join.msn.com/?page=features/virus&xAPID=42&PS=47575&PI=7324&DI=7474&SU=
http://www.hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/getmsg&HL=1216hotmailtaglines_eliminateviruses_3mf

RE: wsproxy generator

Posted by Geoff Howard <co...@leverageweb.com>.
Yes, you can use WebProxyGenerator with any url, but yes it needs to return
xml.

If you need to retrieve arbitrary html content it would be safer to use
HTMLGenerator, which can retrieve remote sources via http, and runs the
input through Tidy before sending the sax events through the pipeline,
guaranteeing [?] that you get wellformed xml.

There is an example this in the samples that ship with cocoon,
coincidentally using yahoo as an example.  If the sample is broken, there is
a good chance that a recent yahoo site redesign has broken the xpath used in
the example, as has happened in the past.

Hope that helps,
Geoff Howard