Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Joel Klein <jf...@gmail.com> on 2006/11/30 05:26:25 UTC

Tomcat listening on port but not responding to requests

Tomcat 5.0.28 has been running fine on 8 identical servers (Apple
xserve Mac OS 10.3) for a few months, but recently 2 of them have
stopped responding to requests.  By that I mean that a browser spins
for several minutes and eventually says the server is taking too long
to respond.  I tried some variants of my web app, and ended up
removing it, so that only the webapps/ROOT with the default Tomcat
welcome page was left, and Tomcat is not serving that either.

What I want to know from this list is if anyone's heard of this case
history, Tomcat appears to start OK, but doesn't seem to respond to
requests.

Netstat -a says that something is listening on the port, and with
multiple stops and starts I'm careful to make sure the port is not in
use before trying to start Tomcat.

Top shows that the machine is basically idle.

I don't see any obvious difference in catalina.log between the working
TC and the broken TC.  No exception stack traces or warnings or
anything.

The last thing in catalina.log is this:

Nov 29, 2006 10:29:08 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina start
INFO: Server startup in 18092 ms

Does this indicate that Tomcat has finished all its initialization?

--
Joel                             [Online at http://jfkbits.blogspot.com]

Re: Tomcat listening on port but not responding to requests

Posted by Steve Ochani <oc...@ncc.edu>.
Date sent:      	Wed, 29 Nov 2006 22:26:25 -0600
From:           	Joel Klein <jf...@gmail.com>
Subject:        	Tomcat listening on port but not responding to requests
To:             	users@tomcat.apache.org
Send reply to:  	Tomcat Users List <us...@tomcat.apache.org>

> Tomcat 5.0.28 has been running fine on 8 identical servers (Apple
> xserve Mac OS 10.3) for a few months, but recently 2 of them have
> stopped responding to requests.  By that I mean that a browser spins
> for several minutes and eventually says the server is taking too long
> to respond.  I tried some variants of my web app, and ended up
> removing it, so that only the webapps/ROOT with the default Tomcat
> welcome page was left, and Tomcat is not serving that either.
>
> What I want to know from this list is if anyone's heard of this case
> history, Tomcat appears to start OK, but doesn't seem to respond to
> requests.
>
> Netstat -a says that something is listening on the port, and with
> multiple stops and starts I'm careful to make sure the port is not in
> use before trying to start Tomcat.

Seems like a network issue.

1. Try visiting the tomcat page from the server itself

2. Try pinging the server from another machine

3. Try connecting to port 80 (or whatever port tomcat is listening on) with telnet from another
machine and issuing a
GET /
request manually

> Top shows that the machine is basically idle.
>
> I don't see any obvious difference in catalina.log between the working
> TC and the broken TC.  No exception stack traces or warnings or
> anything.

Check all logs, are there even incoming requests?

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Joel Klein [mailto:jfklein13@gmail.com]
> Subject: Tomcat listening on port but not responding to requests
>
> The last thing in catalina.log is this:
>
> Nov 29, 2006 10:29:08 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina start
> INFO: Server startup in 18092 ms
>
> Does this indicate that Tomcat has finished all its initialization?

Yes, for normal logging levels and normal operation that's the last
thing you'll see until shutdown.

Is there a stdout.log (or any other log files) in your environment?
Might want to check those as well.  Anything on the console window for
the Tomcat process?

Can you get a thread dump and see where they're stuck?  Also, in case
you happen to be running out of heap space (not likely), turn on
-verbose:gc; it adds very little overhead.

Have you restarted the two servers?  Has this occurred more than once?
Is everything else on the two affected boxes working?

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.