Posted to dev@jena.apache.org by Colin Maudry <co...@maudry.com> on 2016/10/23 10:07:34 UTC

Rising the bar on users@jena.apache.org

Dear Jena developers,

Upon Andy Seaborne\u2019s suggestion, I would like to share with you a
concern we have with certain posts shared on users@jena.apache.org.
In the last couple months, we have seen certain users repeatedly sending
questions that are either:

  * hardly related to Jena and Fuseki
  * very basic questions about RDF or SPARQL
  * betraying the lack of common knowledge in Java programming and
    coding good practice in general

What\u2019s worse, these users, in spite of repeated remarks, keep on being
very vague in their questions, requiring the most patient subscribers to
ask many questions just to obtain a decent understanding of the problem.
A problem that is, again, often not much related to Jena or Fuseki.

As a subscriber, I\u2019m tired of their consistent failure to propose clear
and concise questions and I wish the patient people who answer them
spend their mailing time on more interesting threads. I also fear it
makes certain subscribers silently go away because of this \u201cnoise\u201d.

I first thought of publicly complaining to these users, but I thought
that the managers of the Jena lists should discuss it and take the
appropriate measures.

My suggestion is to:

  * inform the subscribers of an upcoming enforcement of the publishing
    rules (relevance, clearness, completeness, etc.)
  * stop answering the vague/off-topic/badly presented questions
  * if they insist, remind them the topic of the list and good practices
    in problem reporting, and warn them of a possible ban.

Thanks for your attention,

Colin Maudry
https://twitter.com/CMaudry

\u200b

Re: Rising the bar on users@jena.apache.org

Posted by "A. Soroka" <aj...@virginia.edu>.
Andy has pointed to

https://stackoverflow.com/help/mcve

and I think it's a great starting place. On an additional note, there is a clear pattern in the posts described very well by Colin Maudry-- the posters are students doing school assignments. I have at least once suggested to at least one of them that it would be appropriate for them to ask their teacher to contact this project directly to make proper arrangements for what support the project can provide, but without result.

If no one objects, I'll make such a suggestion one last time, and very directly to those concerned in the following way:

> Please tell your teacher that you have been directly informed that this list is not for answering basic questions about Java programming and is moving to require a reasonable attempt at independent work. The people who are patiently answering your questions on this list are all volunteers who have many other things to be doing with their time. You are taking advantage of us by asking unfocused or simplistic questions and you are irritating people who are trying to make proper use of the list. Please stop. Please tell your teacher to contact us and we can try to work out some better means of support. We want people to learn and to use Jena, but you are going about that task in an inappropriate way.

---
A. Soroka
The University of Virginia Library

Posted by Claude Warren <cl...@xenei.com>.

<http://like-like.xenei.com>

Re: Rising the bar on users@jena.apache.org

Posted by "A. Soroka" <aj...@virginia.edu>.
I think these are excellent ideas, and I would love to help pursue them.

The current documentation does have tutorial-style sections, but there are lots of other media at our disposal, e.g. as you say, video. A standard intro webinar that could be arranged on a request basis would be pretty spectacular.

---

Posted by Dave Reynolds <da...@gmail.com>.
On 24/10/16 15:52, A. Soroka wrote:
>> I take the first bullet to mean some "enforcement" is proposed and the last bullet to suggest that a "ban" is "possible".
>
> Sorry, I missed that last phrase-- I wouldn't support a ban for that kind of reason. I take "enforcement" simply to mean that after the same question is asked several times with good answers ignored, the question can legitimately be ignored. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Indeed, I'm happy with that, which I see as the norm.

>> I was not pointing out that projects go through phases.
>> I was pointing out that Jena has been in mature use, including by students on course projects, for many years. We get phases where we get naive and poorly asked questions from students. Those phases are more related to course lifecycles than to Jena lifecycles.
>
> I'm sorry I misunderstood you.
>
>> Patient responses, as have been given here, generally work. If they don't then continued such poor questions can simply go unanswered. I really don't think there's enough volume of such traffic here as to be a problem.
>>
>> Dave
>
> I don't think disagreeing on how problematic the kind of traffic about which we are writing is should stop us from trying new kinds of engagement. In other words, creating more resources for beginners is good for Jena no matter whether you think this mailing list question is serious or not.

+0

[I mean that in the Apache sense :) I definitely agree that more
beginner resources would be good. However, I've no available time to
help so +1 would be a misleading response!]

Dave

Re: Rising the bar on users@jena.apache.org

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.

On 24/10/16 16:09, Paul Houle wrote:

> One reason why people have challenges communicating on mailing lists is
> that English is not their first language.

I don't think English or not is that much of a factor so as much as
simply not reading the emails from the receivers point of view.  It's
the "we can't see your screen" effect.

     Andy

Re: Rising the bar on users@jena.apache.org

Posted by "A. Soroka" <aj...@virginia.edu>.
I haven't seen anyone engaging in this discussion communicate any form of racism.

The specific problem to which Colin Maudry referred is when questioners ignore the responses to their questions. Language barriers are certainly a problem in globally distributed work (having Jena documentation available in more than one language would be a fantastic accomplishment!), but that does not seem to me to be the issue here.

---

Posted by Paul Houle <pa...@ontology2.com>.

Posted by "A. Soroka" <aj...@virginia.edu>.
> The users@ list is about individuals and students are on the list as individuals, not as class participants. I fear discussion with the teachers could lead to serious problems - it would only take one large class, or even not so large class, pointed at users@ to take things to a whole different level.

This is surely true. My suggestion was meant to open up the possibility of some avenue of communication _outside_ users@ if that was deemed appropriate after discussion. For example, I could imagine a teacher inviting a Jena committer or expert user to join a class discussion list to help out. (With, of course, the possibility of forwarding questions to users@ as needed.)

Generally, my hope would be not to throttle or spam the current venues for support but to open up new ones.

---

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
 From general reference

Posted by "A. Soroka" <aj...@virginia.edu>.

Posted by Dave Reynolds <da...@gmail.com>.
On 24/10/16 14:48, A. Soroka wrote:
> I'm a bit confused by some of the last few messages in this thread. I haven't heard anyone suggesting that anyone be excluded from anything.

The title of this thread is "raising the bar".

The root post says:

"""

Posted by "A. Soroka" <aj...@virginia.edu>.

Posted by Rob Vesse <rv...@dotnetrdf.org>.