Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org> on 2006/09/27 02:08:34 UTC

applying patches

Gav.... wrote:
> > From: Ross Gardler

> > > Ok, so exactly the same file, no changes apart from the file name ?
> > >
> > > No sure how others do it, but I would just copy the file, give it the
> > > New name and then add it to our svn with 'svn add filename.xml' and then
> > > Commit it. So, again no patch needed.
> >
> > To copy a file in svn do "svn cp SRC_FILE DEST_FILE" this has the
> > advantage of keeping the SVN history for the file.
>
> Ok Sounds good. How do you go about applying patches locally then?
> Suppose I'm downloading Sjurs internal.xmap patch, normally I just
> Overwrite the current version with the patched version, is there a
> Better way?

Yes there is. It is better to ask the contributor to provide a
patch rather than just the full file. This ensures that it is
patched against the correct version of the file.
http://forrest.apache.org/contrib.html#patch

Otherwise you might clobber other recent changes to the file.

Then you apply the patch with
patch -p0 < ~/Desktop/internal.xmap.diff

If that is not possible then take the full file.

As with all patches or files you need to first convert the
file to the correct line-endings. Sjur has UNIX and you are
on Windows.

Then do the following ...

cd $FORREST_HOME
svn up
cp ~/Desktop/internal.xmap whiteboard/plugins/org.apache.forrest.plugin.internal.dispatcher/internal.xmap
svn diff whiteboard/plugins/org.apache.forrest.plugin.internal.dispatcher/internal.xmap
... make sure it is what you expect. Then test and commit.

-David