Posted to announce@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> on 2017/08/22 16:51:34 UTC

TomcatCon London - registration open

All,

The Apache Tomcat PMC is delighted to announce that registration for
TomcatCon London is now open.

This one day conference will be held on Tuesday 26th September in
central London and features talks from:
- Mark Thomas (markt)
- Rémy Maucherat (remm)
- Jean-Frederic Clere (jfclere)

Full details, including the schedule is available on the website:
http://tomcat.apache.org/conference.html

Registration is via EventBrite:
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/tomcatcon-london-2017-tickets-36683639754

We hope to see you there!

Mark
on behalf of the Apache Tomcat PMC

This event is sponsored by Liferay, the robust java-based open source
platform (5 million downloads) used to build sophisticated transactional
websites and deliver them to web browsers and native mobile clients.
Liferay, Inc provides enterprise support for the commercial release
which is used by organisations such as Allianz, Volkswagen Group and the
NHS.

https://web.liferay.com/community/liferay-projects/liferay-portal/overview

Re: TomcatCon London - registration open

Posted by "Igal @ Lucee.org" <ig...@lucee.org>.
On 8/22/2017 1:29 PM, Mark Thomas wrote:
> On 22/08/17 21:19, Igal @ Lucee.org wrote:
>> How does one become a committer? (asking from Los Angeles but willing to
>> relocate to India if that would improve my chances :])
> The most obvious is by providing patches / pull requests for issues. Do
> that often enough that your name is recognised as someone who knows what
> they are doing and provides decent patches and you'll get you commit bit
> pretty quickly.
>
> <snip/>
>
> In short, any sustained contribution to the community should result in
> committership being offered.

Fair enough.

I personally prefer the "most obvious" way, but I must point out that it
requires some guidance/cooperation from current committers and that is
-- understandably so -- not always available.

Igal Sapir
Lucee Core Developer
Lucee.org <http://lucee.org/>

Re: TomcatCon London - registration open

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 22/08/17 21:19, Igal @ Lucee.org wrote:
> On 8/22/2017 1:08 PM, Mark Thomas wrote:
>
>> On 22/08/17 19:23, Suvendu Sekhar Mondal wrote:
>>> Just wondering when we will have TomcatCon in India... :)
>> Just as soon as we get a committer based in India :)
>
> How does one become a committer? (asking from Los Angeles but willing to
> relocate to India if that would improve my chances :])

Several routes.

The most obvious is by providing patches / pull requests for issues. Do
that often enough that your name is recognised as someone who knows what
they are doing and provides decent patches and you'll get you commit bit
pretty quickly.

The less obvious routes are supporting the community in other areas. For
example, a number of folks were made committers based on their
contributions to this list. It hasn't happened yet but other possible
routes could include improving the wiki, documentation, providing
content for the YouTube channel etc.

Posted by "Igal @ Lucee.org" <ig...@lucee.org>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 22/08/17 19:23, Suvendu Sekhar Mondal wrote:
> Just wondering when we will have TomcatCon in India... :)

Just as soon as we get a committer based in India :)

Seriously, these events are intended to break even financially while not
placing the ASF or any individual committers in a position where they
might lose money. Any funds remaining after this event will be used to
fund the venue for the next one. Funds remaining from that one will be
used for the following one and so on.

In the interests of openness and transparency, I plan to publish
'accounts' for these events so everyone can see where the money goes.

We are fortunate that Liferay offered to sponsor this event and are
providing the venue. That means if the event is well attended we should
have a reasonable balance with which to plan the next event. Suggestions
of where that should be are welcome.

Generally, the expectation is that events will be held near(ish) to
where the committers are to keep travel costs for the speakers low.
However, if someone is willing to sponsor an event in terms of providing
the venue and covering speaker costs, we can have an event pretty much
anywhere committers are willing to travel to.

Based on a very quick search on monsterindia.com, Bengaluru is the most
popular location for Tomcat job postings. If we were to put on an event
in Bengaluru then, as a rough guess, we'd be looking at needing
sponsorship of around £1,000 for the venue and £750 for each Europe
based committer for a 2-day event. I can't speak for any other
committers but, other commitments permitting, I'd be willing to travel
to speak at such an event.

Mark

Posted by Suvendu Sekhar Mondal <su...@gmail.com>.