Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by 1gnition <or...@gmail.com> on 2015/02/08 12:37:34 UTC

Master/Slave with repliacated LevelDB, ZooKeeper, and F5 load-balancer

Hi,

we want to setup ActiveMQ in master/slave with replicated LevelDB and
ZooKeeper as described  here
<http://activemq.apache.org/replicated-leveldb-store.html>

In the official documentation it says:

/Clients should be using the Failover Transport to connect to the broker
nodes in the replication cluster. e.g. using a URL something like the
following:
     failover:(tcp://broker1:61616,tcp://broker2:61616,tcp://broker3:61616)
/

We want instead of specifying the URL using the failover protocol, to use
our F5 load-balancer's address, which will have a pool of all the brokers.

Will it work fine? Is this recommended?

Thanks

Re: Master/Slave with repliacated LevelDB, ZooKeeper, and F5 load-balancer

Posted by Kevin Burton <bu...@spinn3r.com>.
Huh..

This is complicated.

I think you would be better off using failover honestly.

I’m not sure how AMQ clients would handle the protocol issues with the F5..

I *believe* the way the failover protocol works is that broker1 detects
that it’s failing and shuts off its port.  I may be wrong though.  I’ve
always felt this was NOT a good idea because the failing node could be have
pathologically and refuse to shut off its port and not trigger the
failover.

the way that WE planned on doing it was monitoring it and when we want to
cut over, we were just going to reboot the AMQ master and our AMQ isn’t in
init by default so when the box reboots ActiveMQ won’t be running.

On Sun, Feb 8, 2015 at 3:37 AM, 1gnition <or...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> we want to setup ActiveMQ in master/slave with replicated LevelDB and
> ZooKeeper as described  here
> <http://activemq.apache.org/replicated-leveldb-store.html>
>
> In the official documentation it says:
>
> /Clients should be using the Failover Transport to connect to the broker
> nodes in the replication cluster. e.g. using a URL something like the
> following:
>      failover:(tcp://broker1:61616,tcp://broker2:61616,tcp://broker3:61616)
> /
>

> We want instead of specifying the URL using the failover protocol, to use
> our F5 load-balancer's address, which will have a pool of all the brokers.
>
> Will it work fine? Is this recommended?
>
> Thanks

Founder/CEO Spinn3r.com
Location: *San Francisco, CA*