Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Sateesh Chodapuneedi <sa...@citrix.com> on 2013/05/28 18:38:15 UTC

[MERGE] Storage migration support VMware into MASTER

Hi,

I would like to merge the storage migration support to VMware into master. This is incremental piece of work to extend storage migration support to VMware.

Earlier storage migration feature work was done & merged into master as part of JIRA ticket CLOUDSTACK-659. This work just extends the supports to VMware hypervisor by adding the required resource command implementation.

This feature uses the same framework that's laid out as part of storage migration support for XenServer. Code for this feature conforms to what was proposed in FS [1], which encompasses the framework support for storage migration in CloudStack as well as support for this feature in XenServer as well as VMware. Implementation is done in branch [2] up for review. It includes unit tests for verifying the functionality.

Please take a look at it and let me know your comments.

Merge check list :-

* Did you check the branch's RAT execution success?

Yes

* Are there new dependencies introduced?

No

* What automated testing (unit and integration) is included in the new feature?

Unit tests are added.

Marvin tests written as part of CLOUDSTACK-659 to test storage migration for XenServer would work for this feature too because from framework point of view the functionality is transparent across hypervisors VMware/XenServer.

* What testing has been done to check for potential regressions?

I've tested following cases manually,

1)      Migration of a root volume of a VM to another datastore back and forth multiple times while the VM is running & staying in intact on a host.

2)      Migration of a data volume of a VM to another datastore back and forth multiple times while the VM is running & staying in intact on a host.

3)      Migration of multiple data volume of a VM to another datastore back and forth multiple times while the VM is running & staying in intact on a host.

4)      Migration of multiple data volume of a VM to different datastores back and forth multiple times while the VM is running & staying in intact on a host.

5)      Migration of VM with no data disks to another datastore back and forth multiple times within cluster

6)      Migration of VM with multiple data disks to single target datastore back and forth multiple times within cluster

7)      Migration of VM with multiple data disks to multiple target datastores back and forth multiple times within cluster

8)      Migration of VM with no data disks to another datastore back and forth multiple times across clusters

9)      Migration of VM with multiple data disks to single target datastore back and forth multiple times across clusters

10)   Migration of VM with multiple data disks to multiple target datastores back and forth multiple times across clusters

11)   Deploy VM

12)   Destroy VM

13)   Create volume

14)   Destroy volume

15)   Attach volume

16)   Detach volume

If there is no objection, I would merge the branch in 72 hours.

Regards,

Sateesh

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Enabling+Storage+XenMotion+for+XenServer#EnablingStorageXenMotionforXenServer-VMwareResourceSupport

[2] refs/heads/vmware-storage-motion

[3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-2071 (CLOUDSTACK-2701 - Enable storage migration for VMware resources)

Re: [MERGE] Storage migration support VMware into MASTER

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.
On Wed, May 29, 2013 at 01:51:55PM +0000, Sateesh Chodapuneedi wrote:
> [...]

Looks good to me now!

Also, thanks for explaining some of the bits.  Especially the point
about VMware API call consolidation.  I should have remembered that
myself frankly.

+1 from me to merge.

RE: [MERGE] Storage migration support VMware into MASTER

Posted by Sateesh Chodapuneedi <sa...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.