Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Shawn McKinney <sm...@apache.org> on 2016/01/28 15:11:26 UTC

[Fortress]Developers List

Fellow Dev's,

We’ve just added a new committer to fortress, and my goal is to add a few more before long.  My question is which list to use for communicating?  In the past, with our limited discussions, we’ve used the fortress list.  But that list is (supposed to be) for users.  We could use the directory dev list, with fortress label added to the subject line.  But I’m wondering if it is time to add a list specific to fortress dev topics.

WDYT?

Shawn

Re: [Fortress]Developers List

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
This is not about everybody following all mailing lists. I don't believe
that the majority of our combined sub communities does that. This is about
communicating to the entire community. So that everybody gets the same
message when it is appropriate.

Pierre Smits

ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>
OFBiz based solutions & services

OFBiz Extensions Marketplace
http://oem.ofbizci.net/oci-2/

Posted by Stefan Seelmann <ma...@stefan-seelmann.de>.

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
My viewpoint is that we should always target all the lists when
contributors are onboarded into the privileged groups. This ensures that
the entire project community is in the loop and it shows that we are one
(community), albeit that we have various sub groups. But also that we are
communicating to all the sub lists with one voice.

It will show all the various interested parties (adopters, potential
adopters, contributors and potential contributors) that there is commitment
to further the project and its works, and that we are a truly open and
transparant (communicative) project.

Best regards,

Posted by Kiran Ayyagari <ka...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Zheng, Kai" <ka...@intel.com>.
Like Kerby, I agree for the moment it may be good to use the same mailing list for Fortress for all the Fortress specific discussions.

Regards,
Kai

Le 28/01/16 15:11, Shawn McKinney a écrit :
> Fellow Dev's,
>
> We’ve just added a new committer to fortress, and my goal is to add a few more before long.  My question is which list to use for communicating?  In the past, with our limited discussions, we’ve used the fortress list.  But that list is (supposed to be) for users.  We could use the directory dev list, with fortress label added to the subject line.  But I’m wondering if it is time to add a list specific to fortress dev topics.

At the moment, I think 'users' are most certainly likely to become 'developpers' at some point. Making a distinction is probably a bit premature.

Wehn the number of users will grow up to a point the mailing list starts to be flooded by beginners questions, then we can decide to create a dedicated fortress-dev mailing list.

Also it's good for developpers to deal with user's questions, and for users to feel like included into developers discussions.

my 2 cts.

Re: [Fortress]Developers List

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.