Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Brian Behlendorf <br...@hyperreal.org> on 1998/07/27 22:10:49 UTC

Re: bug reports

At 10:44 AM 7/27/98 -0700, Jon Stevens wrote:
>would it be possible to have jserv bug reports posted via the apache bug
>interface emailed to the jserv-dev mailing list?
>
>i could setup an "allowable" email address on the mailing list...just
>give me what the From: line would be...

Okay, this is how things now work:

1) person submits a bug to bug database, marking it as a mod_jserv bug.
2) mail gets sent to submitter, apache-bugdb, and jserv-bugdb@apache.org (a
new list)
3) when the PR is changed, mail is sent to the submitter and
jserv-bugdb@apache.org, but not apache-bugdb.

This was done by changing the "responsible" party for mod_jserv bugs to an
entity called "jserv"; for all others it's an entity called "apache".

I can do this for mod_perl and any other side project; but if we want to go
much further down this path we really need to replace gnats and build
something new.  The masking-tape-and-baling-wire feel of this all is very
disconcerting to me.

	Brian

--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--
"Common sense is the collection of prejudices  |     brian@apache.org
acquired by the age of eighteen." - Einstein   |  brian@hyperreal.org

Re: bug reports

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.
Brian Behlendorf wrote:

>        It's held up so far, but we can either invest a lot more into making
> it work or start from scratch.  I think the benefits of starting from
> scratch are greater, but the real determining factor is, who's got the time
> to do either...

I *might* have some time to spend on this coming up.  I've got a system
design for just this sort of thing lying around somewhere, which I
developed when I couldn't find a single 'helpdesk' application that
did it right IMO.

#ken	P-)}

"Apache Server for Dummies" <http://WWW.Dummies.Com/

Re: bug reports

Posted by Rasmus Lerdorf <ra...@lerdorf.on.ca>.
> Poor documentation, no scalability, clunky interface, and that I had to
> pervert it from the way it was designed to be used in an environment like
> ours.  It's held up so far, but we can either invest a lot more into making
> it work or start from scratch.  I think the benefits of starting from
> scratch are greater, but the real determining factor is, who's got the time
> to do either...

I think the only way to get a bug tracking system that works the way a
particular project needs is to build it yourself.  For the PHP project I
was hoping that Keystone would come along far enough to where I could use
that (http://www.stonekeep.com/keystone/) and it may be by now, but I
needed one sooner so I put one together http://ca.php.net/bugs.php3
The coolest part of this one is definitely the stats page:
http://ca.php.net/bugstats.php3

I think the first step if you really want to replace GNATS is to put
together a list of requirements for the system.  Perhaps a couple of
people can collaborate and get something together that meets most of the
requirements.

-Rasmus

Re: bug reports

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@hyperreal.org>.