Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by GEORGE MCKINNEY <gh...@shaw.ca> on 2006/02/08 19:43:33 UTC

Attachments and Re: newbie questions on "style" attribute

Anne ( or anyone else who can answer ),

In another entry of the blog Anne references, I read:

<quote>
Unfortunatly, because Microsoft refuses to support SwA, the Attachments Profile doesn't really enable interoperability. I can understand Microsoft position on SwA, though -- SwA is a remarkably insecure mechanism for passing attachments. In the future (probably 2006), most SOAP platforms will adopt MTOM as the standard mechanism to pass attachments, and Microsoft is implementing support for MTOM in Indigo. (I'll be posting more on attachment mechanisms in a future blog entry.)
</quote>

I'm not sure what the implications of this are, but the design we have been beginning to think about has a single kind of message, with an xml attachment that follows a schema that would be implied by the contents of one of the bits of the SOAPBody. This would not be open to the world, but only to partners with whom we have a vpn connection. Because the attachments are of widely varying sizes, and the set of schemas (ae?) they follow are expected to change fairly frequently (and each partner would use only a subset of that ), our intent was to have a fairly stable base on which we "layer" the attachments. I had imagined that the WSDL would simply specify an xml attachment. Is that where the Microsoft tools break?

I have played with (oops, make that " done some exploratory prototyping with " ) both Axis 1.3 and Weblogic 8.1 webservice tools, and using their Handler facilities, been able to add / remove attachments without having any reference to them in the WSDL. Can anyone tell me whether that be a viable tactic to use with partners that are Microsoft shops?

BTW, Anne, I didn't see the " ... future blog entry." Does it exist yet? Please? I've found your postings here to be some of the clearest SOAP / webservices information around.

Thanks (and especially to Anne )
George McKinney