Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Andras Nagy <an...@gmail.com> on 2013/02/26 13:52:28 UTC

question about release:branch with CVS

Dear All,

I have a question regarding the release plugin's branch goal. What I am
trying to achieve (using CVS for scm) is this:
-I have a release on the HEAD, let's call this 1.1, with release tag
"REL_1_1"
-I have new changes committed to HEAD (in 1.1-SNAPSHOT)
-I have to fix a bug in 1.1 immediately, without introducing any of the
changes that have happened on HEAD into the bugfix release, so I need  to
start a branch from 1.1 (say "FIX_1_1"), fix the bug on the branch and
create the bugfix release (say 1.1.0) from this branch

My question: is the release:branch goal supposed to be supporting this use
case? I assumed yes, as I have found this example:

mvn release:branch -DbranchName=my-branch -DupdateBranchVersions=true
-DupdateWorkingCopyVersions=false

*Note:* This can be useful if you want to create a branch from a tag
But maybe I'm misinterpreting something, because I couldn't get it to work
with these steps:
-I check out release 1.1 from CVS, using the REL_1_1 release tag
-I want to preform release:branch on this working copy
what happens for me is that the release plugin modifies the pom before
creating the branch, and wants to commit it, which it naturally can't do,
because the working copy still corresponds to the "starting point" of the
branch (which is an "immutable" state, tagged with the REL_1_1 tag, being a
sticky tag in the working copy). I have to admit I don't understand this
logic, as I suppose that the branch would need to be created in the first
step to be able to perform any changes.

Would my scenario be supported with: "-DsuppressCommitBeforeBranch=true
-DremoteTagging=true", supposed that remoteTagging were supported for CVS?
(As I read, it's not yet supported for CVS). If yes, are you planning on
supporting it? (Remote tagging is pretty straightforward with CVS).

Thank you,
Andras

Re: question about release:branch with CVS

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.
Hi,

you haven't specified the version of the maven-release-plugin you're
using. If you haven't locked the version, it is probably 2.0, which is
rather old. You should try 2.4.
If remote tagging is not supported CVS yet, please create an for the SCM
project[1], patches are always very welcome.

Robert

[1] https://jira.codehaus.org/browse/SCM/component/11190