Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Jean-Paul Natola <jn...@familycareintl.org> on 2007/09/24 16:45:18 UTC

TIMEOUT

Hi all

I was just checking headers on messages that were flagged ( by my own rules
in outlook) and I'm curious as to what exactly it means

_cbl.abuseat.org_TIMEOUT ,
               __dnsbl.njabl.org_TIMEOUT , __sbl.spamhaus.org_TIMEOUT '

Now these emails are by no means spam- they are from the university
labmanagers listserve-

Jean-Paul

RE: TIMEOUT

Posted by Jean-Paul Natola <jn...@familycareintl.org>.

Jean-Paul Natola wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I was just checking headers on messages that were flagged ( by my own rules
> in outlook) and I'm curious as to what exactly it means

I dono, what do your outlook rules do?
> _cbl.abuseat.org_TIMEOUT ,
>                __dnsbl.njabl.org_TIMEOUT , __sbl.spamhaus.org_TIMEOUT '

Is that spamassassin output? or from something else?

I don't recognize those lines, but it suggests that something tested the
above RBLs and timed out (ie: got no answer back either way). I know
spamhaus has a policy of blocking high-volume sites that are using their
RBL without a subscription. abuseat and njabl might be doing the same,
as they are essentially feed providers for spamhaus's xbl.

>My question is, why would your outlook rules block something on just a
>timeout event?

Its not blocking its only flagging message that contain the word(s) njabl and
/or zen in the header-

I was thinking of blocking messages at the MTA level-  so I was just testing
to see if any legit emails hit that rule-

As far as what you mentioned -

>(note it's extraordinarily wasteful DNS wise to use those 3 separately.
>One query to zen.spamahaus.org would effectively cover all three).

I have the default settings  in SA- how would I go about just having it do a
single query to zen as you noted?

Re: TIMEOUT

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@verizon.net>.