Posted to user@jspwiki.apache.org by supernovachild <su...@gmail.com> on 2009/07/30 11:54:33 UTC

JSPWiki Future and Roadmap post v2.8.2

Hi Guys

I'm an avid fan of JSPWiki, but I'm concerned about it's future with it
being part of the Apache incubator project

The reasons are:

- Edits on jspwiki seem to be slowing down
- No-one has been contributing Templates. When I started using JSPWiki at
ver 2.0.x there where a whole bunch and then it slowed down. By ver 2.6
no-one was contributing any more
- The same applies to the plugins
- The http://incubator.apache.org/jspwiki/ site seems very lean and nothing
much seems to be going on
- The JIRA site seems to have items logged in 2008 with no resolution

Having said all of this; the number & frequency of subversion commits seems
to be fairly ok which might indicate that their is perhaps nothing to fear?
:)

I know the more people helping on a project the better. Unfortunately I can
only be an avid user and fan and not contribute due my hectic work and 60+
hours weeks.

If we the fans have nothing to fear, may I be so bold as to ask the team to
stick something on the main page of jspwiki.org as well as the incubator
page explaining that there is nothing to fear and that the project is alive
and kicking. Also (I'm not sure if this is somewhere), do you have any idea
of the release roadmap concerning rough dates... i.e. from 2.8.3 to 3.0 to
3.1?

Thanks Guys

A major fan

Greg

Re: JSPWiki 2.8.2 - Oracle Application Server

Posted by Janne Jalkanen <ja...@ecyrd.com>.
Here's the root cause:

> Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/log4j/Category
> 	at java.lang.Class.getDeclaredConstructors0(Native Method)
> 	at java.lang.Class.privateGetDeclaredConstructors(Class.java:2328)
> 	at java.lang.Class.getConstructor0(Class.java:2640)
> 	at java.lang.Class.getConstructor(Class.java:1629)
> 	at
> org
> .apache
> .commons
> .logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.getLogConstructor(LogFactoryImpl.java:
> 410)
> 	... 36 more

Looks like you have a classpath problem with log4j.  Make sure that

a) you have one somewhere in your classpath, and
b) you don't have conflicting installations in your Oracle classpath.

I'm also somewhat worried at who is calling apache commons logging -
jspwiki does not use it at all...

/Janne

RE: JSPWiki 2.8.2 - Oracle Application Server

Posted by Robert FORBES <rf...@highlinecorp.com>.
Error log below....  thanks for pointing that out.

009-08-26 21:27:34,872 [OC4J Launcher] INFO com.ecyrd.jspwiki.WikiEngine  - *******************************************
2009-08-26 21:27:34,872 [OC4J Launcher] INFO com.ecyrd.jspwiki.WikiEngine  - JSPWiki 2.8.2 starting. Whee!
2009-08-26 21:27:34,872 [OC4J Launcher] INFO com.ecyrd.jspwiki.WikiEngine  - Servlet container: Oracle Containers for J2EE 10g (10.1.3.4.0)
2009-08-26 21:27:34,888 [OC4J Launcher] INFO com.ecyrd.jspwiki.WikiEngine  - JSPWiki working directory is 'c:\highline\wiki\wikitemp'
2009-08-26 21:27:35,090 [OC4J Launcher] INFO com.ecyrd.jspwiki.util.ClassUtil  - You tried to instantiate an abstract class com.ecyrd.jspwiki.PageManager
	at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:494)
	at com.ecyrd.jspwiki.util.ClassUtil.getMappedObject(ClassUtil.java:276)
	at com.ecyrd.jspwiki.util.ClassUtil.getMappedObject(ClassUtil.java:228)
	at com.ecyrd.jspwiki.WikiEngine.initialize(WikiEngine.java:525)
	at com.ecyrd.jspwiki.WikiEngine.<init>(WikiEngine.java:399)
	at com.ecyrd.jspwiki.WikiEngine.getInstance(WikiEngine.java:340)
	at com.ecyrd.jspwiki.WikiEngine.getInstance(WikiEngine.java:286)
	at com.ecyrd.jspwiki.WikiServlet.init(WikiServlet.java:54)
	at com.evermind.server.http.HttpApplication.loadServlet(HttpApplication.java:2379)
	at com.evermind.server.http.HttpApplication.findServlet(HttpApplication.java:4830)
	at com.evermind.server.http.HttpApplication.findServlet(HttpApplication.java:4754)
	at com.evermind.server.http.HttpApplication.initPreloadServlets(HttpApplication.java:4942)
	at com.evermind.server.http.HttpApplication.initDynamic(HttpApplication.java:1144)
	at com.evermind.server.http.HttpApplication.<init>(HttpApplication.java:741)
	at com.evermind.server.ApplicationStateRunning.getHttpApplication(ApplicationStateRunning.java:431)
	at com.evermind.server.Application.getHttpApplication(Application.java:586)
	at com.evermind.server.http.HttpSite$HttpApplicationRunTimeReference.createHttpApplicationFromReference(HttpSite.java:1987)
	at com.evermind.server.http.HttpSite$HttpApplicationRunTimeReference.<init>(HttpSite.java:1906)
	at com.evermind.server.http.HttpSite.initApplications(HttpSite.java:643)
	at com.evermind.server.http.HttpSite.setConfig(HttpSite.java:290)
	at com.evermind.server.http.HttpServer.setSites(HttpServer.java:270)
	at com.evermind.server.http.HttpServer.setConfig(HttpServer.java:177)
	at com.evermind.server.ApplicationServer.initializeHttp(ApplicationServer.java:2493)
	at com.evermind.server.ApplicationServer.setConfig(ApplicationServer.java:1042)
	at com.evermind.server.ApplicationServerLauncher.run(ApplicationServerLauncher.java:131)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)
Caused by: java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
	at com.ecyrd.jspwiki.providers.CachingProvider.initialize(CachingProvider.java:138)
	at com.ecyrd.jspwiki.PageManager.<init>(PageManager.java:166)
	... 29 more
Caused by: org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException: org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException: No suitable Log constructor [Ljava.lang.Class;@18cecd for org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4JLogger (Caused by java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/log4j/Category) (Caused by org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException: No suitable Log constructor [Ljava.lang.Class;@18cecd for org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4JLogger (Caused by java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/log4j/Category))
	at org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.newInstance(LogFactoryImpl.java:543)
	at org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.getInstance(LogFactoryImpl.java:235)
	at org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.getInstance(LogFactoryImpl.java:209)
	at org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory.getLog(LogFactory.java:351)
	at com.opensymphony.oscache.base.Cache.<clinit>(Cache.java:42)
	... 31 more
Caused by: org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException: No suitable Log constructor [Ljava.lang.Class;@18cecd for org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4JLogger (Caused by java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/log4j/Category)
	at org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.getLogConstructor(LogFactoryImpl.java:413)
	at org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.newInstance(LogFactoryImpl.java:529)
	... 35 more
Caused by: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/log4j/Category
	at java.lang.Class.privateGetDeclaredConstructors(Class.java:2328)
	at java.lang.Class.getConstructor(Class.java:1629)
	at org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.getLogConstructor(LogFactoryImpl.java:410)
	... 36 more
2009-08-26 21:27:35,090 [OC4J Launcher] FATAL com.ecyrd.jspwiki.WikiEngine  - JSPWiki could not start, due to an unknown exception when starting.
com.ecyrd.jspwiki.WikiException: Failed to instantiate class com.ecyrd.jspwiki.PageManager
	at com.ecyrd.jspwiki.util.ClassUtil.getMappedObject(ClassUtil.java:312)
[...]
2009-08-26 21:27:40,582 [Finalizer] INFO com.ecyrd.jspwiki.WikiServlet  - WikiServlet shutdown.
2009-08-26 21:29:09,116 [AJPRequestHandler-RMICallHandler-6] INFO com.ecyrd.jspwiki.util.UtilJ2eeCompat  - serverInfo: Oracle Containers for J2EE 10g (10.1.3.4.0)
2009-08-26 21:29:09,116 [AJPRequestHandler-RMICallHandler-6] INFO com.ecyrd.jspwiki.util.UtilJ2eeCompat  - Oracle Container for JEE detected

Posted by Harry Metske <ha...@gmail.com>.

Re: JSPWiki Future and Roadmap post v2.8.2

Posted by Roland Whitehead <ro...@quru.com>.
On 30 Jul 2009, at 10:54, Greg wrote:

> - Edits on jspwiki seem to be slowing down
> - No-one has been contributing Templates. When I started using
> JSPWiki at
> ver 2.0.x there where a whole bunch and then it slowed down. By ver
> 2.6
> no-one was contributing any more
> - The same applies to the plugins

We have been working on a number of plugins. We've already
significantly modified the FormMailer plugin and have uploaded the new
version (it works, it redirects to another page and some other mods),
have produced a new plugin that munge's plugin paramters into some
HTML code stored in the jspwiki.properties file (it was going to be a
plugin for various embedded videos but now we're using it for all
sorts of stuff) that we are testing before uploading to the wiki and
we've done quite a bit of work on making a forum pluging actually work
correctly. All of these are intended for sharing with the community
and there are several that we've done that will remain private (like
the plugin + perl + other licensed code that we use for producing
print ready PDF-X1As direct from the Wiki) unless we see some demand.

The issue isn't that there isn't work being done but more that there
isn't the perceived demand for more work. JPSWiki just works so how
much does it need changing?

You might be interested to know that most of this plugin work is
fuelled not only for our own needs but for the needs of another open
source project (to build hydrogen fuel cell cars - http://www.40fires.org
) who are priming the pump - its a case of one open source project
feeding another!

Roland
--
QURU, London

Re: JSPWiki Future and Roadmap post v2.8.2

Posted by Janne Jalkanen <ja...@ecyrd.com>.
So therefore I call forth the opening for the position of the Official
Roadmap Maintainer :-)

(I don't think I have the time to update a roadmap - I rather use the
time for coding.  But if someone is savvy enough with JIRA and
ChangeLog, and bothers to pester the committers what their plan are
writer...  Anybody want to take the job?  It would be easy enough to
maintain in the wiki)

/Janne

Posted by Rolf Schumacher <ma...@august.de>.

Posted by Janne Jalkanen <ja...@ecyrd.com>.
Heya!

Posted by Harry Metske <ha...@gmail.com>.
2009/7/30 supernovachild <su...@gmail.com>

> Hi Guys
>
> I'm an avid fan of JSPWiki, but I'm concerned about it's future with it
> being part of the Apache incubator project
>
> The reasons are:
>
> - Edits on jspwiki seem to be slowing down

the last couple of months have been rather quiet, this is mainly due to the
fact that some of the main contributors have had other priorities (family
expansion, marriage, vacation and so on). Also, I think summertime with nice
weather is a cause.

> - No-one has been contributing Templates. When I started using JSPWiki at
> ver 2.0.x there where a whole bunch and then it slowed down. By ver 2.6
> no-one was contributing any more

see other comments...., I'm only involved since about 2 years...

> - The same applies to the plugins

I think we are fairly complete for basic functions, if there are
requirements for other plugin functionality people can enter JIRA issues.
Contribution of plugins is indeed low the last year, I can't explain why.

> - The http://incubator.apache.org/jspwiki/ site seems very lean and
> nothing
> much seems to be going on

as Janne already pointed out, this is due to the incubating process and our
documentation issue, we made this site very basic, pointing over to the
current wiki's (which are much easier to maintain).

> - The JIRA site seems to have items logged in 2008 with no resolution

yep, we surely could use more good developers picking up bugs and feature
requests....
the most coding time is currently spent (I guess) in getting 3.0 up to the
basic functioning (Stripes + JCR) and the promotion to an ASF top level
project, leaving not much time left for JIRA issues.

> Having said all of this; the number & frequency of subversion commits seems
> to be fairly ok which might indicate that their is perhaps nothing to fear?
> :)
>
> I know the more people helping on a project the better. Unfortunately I can
> only be an avid user and fan and not contribute due my hectic work and 60+
> hours weeks.
>
> If we the fans have nothing to fear, may I be so bold as to ask the team to
> stick something on the main page of jspwiki.org as well as the incubator
> page explaining that there is nothing to fear and that the project is alive
> and kicking. Also (I'm not sure if this is somewhere), do you have any idea
> of the release roadmap concerning rough dates... i.e. from 2.8.3 to 3.0 to
> 3.1?
>

> Thanks Guys
>
> A major fan
>
> Greg

regards,
Harry

Re: JSPWiki Future and Roadmap post v2.8.2

Posted by Janne Jalkanen <ja...@ecyrd.com>.

>> I meant that Google Docs, pmwiki and other WikiFarms have probably
>> taken a big market share.  JSPWiki seems to be mainly used in
>> companies, and few companies share the plugins/templates they
>> create...
>>

> Under that view you could scrap almost all products of Apache. Tomcat,
> Geronimo and friends are all for companies or institutions. Still,
> there are
> lots of downloads of the products (btw, do you count JSPWiki
> downloads?).

Erm, I didn't mean that it renders JSPWiki (or any other product)
useless.  It's just that individual users are far more likely to
contribute their patches to JSPWiki rather than companies :-)

> Thanks to the community for the great Wiki product !!

Thanks for using JSPWiki :)

> I think http://www.jspwiki.org/wiki/JSPWikiSites  should be made
> prettier
> and prominently linked  on JSPWiki.org, it could look like the
> Glassfish
> success stories: http://blogs.sun.com/stories/

I agree. Want to take the job? ;-)

/Janne

Re: JSPWiki Future and Roadmap post v2.8.2

Posted by Juergen Weber <we...@gmail.com>.

Janne Jalkanen wrote:

> I meant that Google Docs, pmwiki and other WikiFarms have probably
> taken a big market share.  JSPWiki seems to be mainly used in
> companies, and few companies share the plugins/templates they create...

Under that view you could scrap almost all products of Apache. Tomcat,
Geronimo and friends are all for companies or institutions. Still, there are
lots of downloads of the products (btw, do you count JSPWiki downloads?).

Our company is a happy JSPWiki user, too. Currently we have 1200 pages and
growing ...

Thanks to the community for the great Wiki product !!

I think http://www.jspwiki.org/wiki/JSPWikiSites  should be made prettier
and prominently linked  on JSPWiki.org, it could look like the Glassfish
success stories: http://blogs.sun.com/stories/

Thanks,
Juergen