Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Clemens Eisserer <li...@gmail.com> on 2006/03/18 10:27:44 UTC

Problem with tomcat / commons-logging / log4j

Hello,

First of all this is a cross-post, I already asked a quite similar
question on tomcat-users but noone was able to at least give me a hint
:-/
I really don't want to bother you, my goal is just to get ... well ...
a bit more attention ;)

I would like to use Log4J in my servlet and I would prefer having my
own copy of Log4J in the lib-directory of my web application, so I
would not have to worry about older/newer versions installed on
various application servers I plan to deploy to.
However after copying Log4J.jar into the lib-directory of my webapp's lib'
dir tomcat refuses even to start up, throwing the exception at the end
of this mail.
I wonder why commons-loggin bothers at all about Log4J if its
contained in the library directory of the webapplication - those
classes should have no effect on the server as whole at all, right?

Is there any way to make commons-logging (deployed as part of tomcat)
ignore my version of Log4J?

Thank you in advance, lg Clemens

[jmx-service] org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException:
org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException: No suitable Log
constructor [Ljava.lang.Class;@b1aebf for
org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4JLogger (Caused by
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/log4j/Category) (Caused by
org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException: No suitable Log
constructor [Ljava.lang.Class;@b1aebf for
org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4JLogger (Caused by
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/log4j/Category))
[jmx-service]   at
org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.newInstance(LogFactoryImpl.java:543)
[jmx-service]   at
org.apache.commons.logging.impl.LogFactoryImpl.getInstance(LogFactoryImpl.java:235)