Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com> on 2015/07/13 10:55:05 UTC

Re: Question about sub-projects and project merging

Hi Jay,

Looking at your question, I see the Apache Samza and Apache Kafka
*communities* have little overlap(*). The Board looks at communities, and
their overlap or lack thereof. Smushing two communities under one TLP is
what we have historically called an "umbrella" TLP, and discourage.
Communities should be allowed to operate independently.

If you have *one* community, then one TLP makes sense.

If you have *two* communities, then increase the overlap. When they look
like one community, and that one community votes to merge TLPs ... then ask
for that.

Cheers,
-g

(*) 2 common PMC members, 3 common committers.