Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Gediminas Blazys <Ge...@microsoft.com.INVALID> on 2020/10/28 07:58:17 UTC

Running and Managing Large Cassandra Clusters

Hello,

I wanted to seek out your opinion and experience.

Has anyone of you had a chance to run a Cassandra cluster of more than 350 nodes?
What are the major configuration considerations that you had to focus on? What number of vnodes did you use?
Once the cluster was up and running what would you have done differently?
Perhaps it would be more manageable to run multiple smaller clusters? Did you try this approach? What were the major challenges?

I don't know if questions like that are allowed here but I'm really interested in what other folks ran into while running massive operations.

Gediminas

Re: Running and Managing Large Cassandra Clusters

Posted by Joshua McKenzie <jm...@apache.org>.
A few questions for you Tom if you have 30 seconds and care to disclose:

   1. What version of C*?
   2. What compaction strategy?
   3. What's core count allocated per C* node?
   4. Gossip give you any headaches / you have to be delicate there or does
   it behave itself?

Context: pmc/committer and I manage the OSS C* team at DataStax. We're
doing a lot of thinking about how to generally improve the operator
experience across the board for folks in the post 4.0 time frame, so data
like the above (where things are going well at scale and why) is super
useful to help feed into that effort.

Thanks!

Posted by Tom van der Woerdt <to...@booking.com.INVALID>.
Does 360 count? :-)