Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Tom Miller <tm...@kdsi.net> on 2001/04/03 21:24:13 UTC

Port 80 interfering w/Struts in NN

Struts Collegues

I have a couple of small Struts applications hosted on the web. I am
finding that when I access the Struts jsp pages using Netscape, port 80
(:80) gets attached to the base URL (e.g..
www.stgabe.org:80/whatever.do;jsessionid=cekru16pr1?action=View).

After that, various start to malfunction. For one thing, the
CheckLogonTag from the Struts example quits finding a previous valid
login - so I assume something is going wrong with session tracking.

The customer support guy at my web host is going to try to filter the
:80 requests and redirect them back to my plain old URL, but does anyone
know where this is coming from, and what I can do about it? I really
can't tell the users not to use Netscape, or I'll lose a large
percentage of them.

TIA!
--
Tom Miller
Miller Associates, Inc.

Re: Port 80 interfering w/Struts in NN

Posted by Dan Miser <dm...@wi.rr.com>.
I reported this bug a week or 2 ago. I got an email that it was fixed, and
the release notes for Beta 2 seem to confirm that. Try downloading the
nightly build to see if that solves it.
--
Dan Miser
http://www.distribucon.com

Posted by Tom Miller <tm...@kdsi.net>.
Well I'll be a worn out mouse pad. I sort of solved my own problem, but
can't say I totally undestand why.

On a hunch, I removed the <html:base/> tags that I had used in each JSP
file. The problem went away. Apparently the added port number (by who?) in
the browser was not comparing well with the URL supplied by <html:base/>.
Again, this only occured in Netscape Navigator (4.72), not in IE 5.x.

Does anyone know the circumstances in which <html:base/> actually must be
used? or provides benefit? My 13 year old son told me that <base> is not
generally needed in HTML programming, of which he is a typical teenaged
wizard.

Tom

--
Tom Miller