Posted to j-users@xerces.apache.org by "J. Scott Amort" <js...@telus.net> on 2002/11/29 01:48:25 UTC

Question Regarding Validation

I'm using JAXP 1.2 and the latest Xerces-J (2.2.1).  I have:

factory.setValidating(false);

Where factory is my DocumentBuilderFactory.  However, the XML file does
have a !DOCTYPE header containing a reference to a DTD, and
standalone=no.  The parser seems to try to find this DTD, even though I
don't want it to validate.  And when it can't find it, I get a "no
protocol: //somedtd.dtd" error.  How can I prevent this?

My application will use XML files generated by another app which
includes a local DTD reference.  However, my app may or may not be run
on the same computer as that DTD, so I don't want it to look for it (but
I can't alter how that app writes its XML files).  I hope this is
somewhat clear.  Thanks for any help.

Scott

Re: Question Regarding Validation

Posted by "J. Scott Amort" <js...@telus.net>.
On Thu, 2002-11-28 at 16:59, Simon Kitching wrote:
> Hi,
>
> You may find the following email useful:
>

> http://xml.apache.org/xerces2-j/features.html
>
> esp.feature
> "http://apache.org/xml/features/nonvalidating/load-external-dtd."
>
> NB: I haven't tried this myself. I use an alternate approach where I
> register an EntityResolver and return an empty DTD.
>
> For some background info, you may find Glenn's comments here useful:
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xerces-j-user&m=103728668825453&w=2
>
> Regards,
>
> Simon

Thanks Simon, I went with your alternate approach actually, and it
worked like a charm.  Thanks again.

Scott

Posted by Simon Kitching <si...@ecnetwork.co.nz>.
Hi,