Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by "Kay Schenk@apache.org" <ks...@apache.org> on 2016/08/23 19:19:46 UTC

Fwd: Re: Questions about buildbot internals

FYI: communication with pono from infra

Posted by Gav <ip...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Aug 29, 2016 at 4:10 AM, Kay Schenk <ks...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 08/28/2016 10:52 AM, Don Lewis wrote:

> provide,
> from.

> file.

> as

> might
> hamcrest

> of

> GitHub.

> makes
> >>
> >> First of all, thank you for all this work, Gav!
> >>
> >> If you've got information on the complete pack for Junit4 (4.11), can
> >> you see if ANY hamcrest jar is included? I personally just manually
> >> downloaded hamcrest-core-1.3.jar, put into /usr/share/java and made a
> >> sym link called just  hamcrest.jar to it.
> >
> > I don't have a Ubuntu 14 VM handy, but I just got my Ubuntu 16 VM
> > working again.  Junit doesn't install hamcrest, and python-hamcrest
> > doesn't either.  The package that does install hamcrest-all.jar is
> > libhamcrest-java.
> >

> Thanks for checking on all this, Don, and you are absolutely correct!
> Gav, it seems what we should install  on the new 14.04 systems is this:
>
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/trusty/libhamcrest1.2-java

Great, that works.

> This should work with the default junit 4.11. We do not want or need the
> hamcrest-python.
>
> Unless something's changed significantly in the junit tests (and I have
> not researched this), this should work for us. We used junit 4.11 for
> testing on AOO 4.1.1.

ack, default junit4 on 14.04 LTS Ubuntu is 4.11 so all good there.

Thanks.

--
Gav...

Re: Fwd: Re: Questions about buildbot internals

Posted by Kay Schenk <ks...@apache.org>.

Posted by Don Lewis <tr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gav <ip...@gmail.com>.
Hi.

Posted by Don Lewis <tr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gav <ip...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Don Lewis <tr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gav <ip...@gmail.com>.
Hi Don,

Posted by Don Lewis <tr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gav <ip...@gmail.com>.

On Sat, Aug 27, 2016 at 12:58 AM, Kay Schenk <ks...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 08/26/2016 04:22 AM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> > Kay Schenk wrote:
> >> Do you really mean 16.04 LTS? Is there a buildbot setup with this? I
> >> am NOT
> >> a Ubuntu person.
> >
> > Yes, I did mean 16.04 LTS. But I see that end of life for 14.04
> > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases is April 2019, so 5 years and not 3 as
> > it was for earlier Ubuntu LTS versions. This means 14.04 is OK.
> >
> > That said, if our focus is on making a release then we simply need
> > working buildbots. The current setup (pending the dependency fixes) can
> > be satisfactory too. As a rule of thumb, the newer a (Linux) buildbot
> > is, the less compatible produced builds are - which means they can be
> > tested by fewer people.
> >
> > Regards,
> >   Andrea.
>
> Just now I replaced configure.ac with and older version before the
> specific junit and hamcrest version checking. Hopefully this will get
> our current buildbots rolling again.
>
> The major problem with newer buildbots using Ubuntu is the glibc version
> is newer compared to what is used in our "baseline" Linux, which is
> CentOS5, or even, as I discovered CentOS7. SO, I can't test the builds
> using my CentOS 6.8, for example. Newer end user Linux systems would
> probably not have problems.
>
> The good thing about moving to the Ubuntu 14.04 buildbots was our
> capability to install what we needed basically directly vs putting in
> Jira tix to infra.
>
> I'm hoping the buildbots will run OK this evening.
>
> ps. I think Windows is building --without-junit, so we have an
> inconsistency there.

> Kay Schenk
> Apache OpenOffice
>
> "Things work out best for those who make
>  the best of the way things work out."
>                          -- John Wooden

Gav...

Re: Fwd: Re: Questions about buildbot internals

Posted by Kay Schenk <ks...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ks...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Aug 25, 2016 at 3:26 PM, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>
wrote:

> On 24/08/2016 Kay Schenk wrote:
>
>> Continuing discussion with infra due to EOL on both the systems we are
>> currently using indicates we will probably be moving to Ubuntu 14.04
>> buildbots for Linux 32 and Linux 64. I'll keep you updated.
>>

> For the same reason, wouldn't it be better to move to 16.04 LTS actually?
>
> But if this means we'll have broken buildbots for two months then we can
> live with the current ones until the release.
>
> Regards,
>   Andrea.

​I didn't copy "dev" on my last question infra -- sorry.

Do you really mean 16.04 LTS? Is there a buildbot setup with this? I am NOT
a Ubuntu person.

The more I thought about this, the more it seemed better to just move to
Ubuntu 14.04 as it would give us better control over what's installed. My
question to them today, was about the 32-bit version of this. I couldn't
identify if a 32-bit buildbot for Ubuntu 14.04 was even available.

I'm assuming at this point they would change the env for our current
buildbot scripts so that wouldn't need to change.I would hope this would be
a quick chageover.

 I will copy "dev" on further communication with "infra".

We can get around the broken buildbot problem now by going back a couple of
revisions when the junit version checking was tweaked up. If we don't get a
resolution by next Wed, I'll make the change.
​

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ks...@apache.org>.
[top posting]