Posted to dev@asterixdb.apache.org by Ígor Chagas <ig...@gmail.com> on 2019/08/26 16:10:48 UTC

Hyracks - increasing jvm memory heap size

Hello devs,

I've been working with a InMemorySortOperator and a 8GB file on hyracks and
I got the error message below:
"Exception in thread "Timer-0" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space".

To overcome this, I've tried to add a param on node config files specifying
the jvm heap size:
[nc]
address = compute-0-35
cluster.address = compute-0-34
cluster.port = 1099
jvm.args = -Xmx16384m

[localnc]
node.id = c035

However, it gave the same error output again. How to increase the jvm
memory on Hyracks?

Regards

Ígor Chagas Marques

Re: Hyracks - increasing jvm memory heap size

Posted by Ian Maxon <im...@uci.edu>.
Also be sure the cc.conf you're editing is the one that is being
propagated from the CC, if you're using all the NCService stuff as
usual.

Posted by Ali Alsuliman <al...@gmail.com>.
Hi Igor,

Posted by Ígor Chagas <ig...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

Thanks for answering.
Using jmap -heap I got:
Attaching to process ID 6172, please wait...
Debugger attached successfully.
Server compiler detected.
JVM version is 25.92-b14

using thread-local object allocation.
Parallel GC with 10 thread(s)

Heap Configuration:
   MinHeapFreeRatio         = 0
   MaxHeapFreeRatio         = 100
   MaxHeapSize              = 8430551040 (8040.0MB)
   NewSize                  = 176160768 (168.0MB)
   MaxNewSize               = 2810183680 (2680.0MB)
   OldSize                  = 352321536 (336.0MB)
   NewRatio                 = 2
   SurvivorRatio            = 8
   MetaspaceSize            = 21807104 (20.796875MB)
   CompressedClassSpaceSize = 1073741824 (1024.0MB)
   MaxMetaspaceSize         = 17592186044415 MB
   G1HeapRegionSize         = 0 (0.0MB)

Heap Usage:
PS Young Generation
Eden Space:
   capacity = 132120576 (126.0MB)
   used     = 78735736 (75.08824920654297MB)
   free     = 53384840 (50.91175079345703MB)
   59.593848576621404% used
From Space:
   capacity = 22020096 (21.0MB)
   used     = 0 (0.0MB)
   free     = 22020096 (21.0MB)
   0.0% used
To Space:
   capacity = 22020096 (21.0MB)
   used     = 0 (0.0MB)
   free     = 22020096 (21.0MB)
   0.0% used
PS Old Generation
   capacity = 352321536 (336.0MB)
   used     = 0 (0.0MB)
   free     = 352321536 (336.0MB)
   0.0% used

5025 interned Strings occupying 406840 bytes.
______________________________

Wich means that max heap size is 8040.0MB. So it did not work.
Maybe there is something wrong in my files or at the init step.

1) First I started the CC on the "compute-0-34" machine ->  bin/hyrackscc
-config-file ~/conf/c034.conf
Where c034.conf file is:

=============================
[cc]
address = compute-0-34
app.class = org.apache.hyracks.control.cc.BaseCCApplication

[nc/c036]
address = compute-0-36
jvm.args = -Xmx16384m
=============================

2 )Then I started the NC on the "compute-0-36" machine ->bin/hyrackscc
-config-file ~/conf/c036.conf
Where c036.conf file is:

=============================
[nc]