Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Anthony Shipman <A....@vorticeresearchgroup.com> on 2006/02/01 05:43:34 UTC

Re: Revision keywords and arithmetics

On Wednesday 01 February 2006 03:26, Scott Palmer wrote:

> I use PREV and COMMITTED all the time to see what the "last change"
> was to a particular file.
>
> svn diff -rPREV:COMMITTED myfile
>
> I do this when I see that an update has pulled in changes to a file
> that I "own" or recently changed, just to see what my fellow
> developers  might have done with my recent changes.  They may have
> caught a mistake I made, or they might have made some other change
> that I should be aware of.

If three of those have crept in while you were getting around to it you could
write

svn diff -rCOMMITTED-3:COMMITTED myfile

--
Anthony Shipman                     | Mamas don't let your babies
A.Shipman@vorticeresearchgroup.com  | grow up to be outsourced.

Re: Revision keywords and arithmetics

Posted by Scott Palmer <sc...@2connected.org>.
On 1-Feb-06, at 12:43 AM, Anthony Shipman wrote:

> On Wednesday 01 February 2006 03:26, Scott Palmer wrote:
>>
>> I use PREV and COMMITTED all the time to see what the "last change"
>> was to a particular file.
>>
>> svn diff -rPREV:COMMITTED myfile
>>
>> I do this when I see that an update has pulled in changes to a file
>> that I "own" or recently changed...
>
> If three of those have crept in while you were getting around to it
> you could
> write
>
> svn diff -rCOMMITTED-3:COMMITTED myfile

Are you suggesting that the arithmetic would not operate on the raw
revision number, but it would be smart enough to go back, in your
example, over the three previous changes to that file?  Remember that
the revision number will get bumped by changes to other files, so
-rCOMMITTED-3:COMMITTED might yield exactly the same diff as -
rPREV:COMMITTED if we are taking about revision numbers.

Scott