Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Ryan McKinley <ry...@gmail.com> on 2007/04/27 21:45:53 UTC

multiple solr instances using same index files?

Is it possible / is it an ok idea to have multiple solr instances
running on the same machine pointing to the same index files?

Essentially, I have two distinct needs - in some cases i need a commit
immediately after indexing one document, but most of the time it is fine
to wait 10 mins for changes if that has better performance.

Alternatively i could rsync the index and use the standard distribution
stuff.  If thats avoidable, it is one less thing...

thanks
ryan

Re: multiple solr instances using same index files?

Posted by James liu <li...@gmail.com>.
I think performance u should notice.

when one instance do index,commit,optimize,,,it will cose much CPU,RAM.
i think it will disturb your search(when they use other solr instance)
unless u know the time they will search or search's frequency is low.

--
regards
jl

Re: multiple solr instances using same index files?

Posted by Ryan McKinley <ry...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: > Essentially, I have two distinct needs - in some cases i need a commit
: > immediately after indexing one document, but most of the time it is fine
: > to wait 10 mins for changes if that has better performance.
:
: Sounds like a configuration issue... set autocommit to 10 minutes, but
: explicitly
: commit the important documents?
:
: I don't quite get why one would want two solr instances for this.

i think he means that he has some search clinets that want to see changes
immediately, but other search clients can have more lag and he wants
the speed benefits of good caching for those clients

in essence what you describe is the standard master/slave setup where you
commit on the master very frequently, search the master when you need
"real time" info, and only run snapinstaller on your slave at large
regular intervals ... the difference is you aren't really making or
pulling snapshots.

(I'm guessing you and Fuad are in the exact same situation)

-Hoss

Re: multiple solr instances using same index files?

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@apache.org>.
On 4/27/07, Ryan McKinley <ry...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is it possible / is it an ok idea to have multiple solr instances
> running on the same machine pointing to the same index files?

If only one at a time is used to update the index, then yes it is possible.

> Essentially, I have two distinct needs - in some cases i need a commit
> immediately after indexing one document, but most of the time it is fine
> to wait 10 mins for changes if that has better performance.

Sounds like a configuration issue... set autocommit to 10 minutes, but
explicitly
commit the important documents?

I don't quite get why one would want two solr instances for this.

-Yonik