Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Dwayne Miller <dm...@espgroup.net> on 2003/01/21 15:28:22 UTC

[users@httpd] Using a windows mapped drive for document root

Any Windows users out there have any experience in setting up Apache to
use a mapped drive as the document root?

I know it involves setting up a user that has permissions to the mapped
drive and using an alias in the conf file, but all of my attempts have
gotten me absolutely nowhere towards resolving this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,
Dwayne

Re: [users@httpd] Using a windows mapped drive for document root

Posted by Dwayne Miller <dm...@espgroup.net>.
Got it!  Stupid mistake on my part.

I forgot to put the share name as part of the UNC.  Once I got that
corrected, then the Apache service would correctly initiate the mapping
when the service starts.  This works within a Virtual Host container.  I
have not tried this yet with the primary document root.

My syntax is:

DocumentRoot  //10.2.1.1/sharename/www/docs

Thanks for watching over my shoulder while I fought myself over this one!

Dwayne

Posted by Jeff Cohen <ap...@gej-it.com>.

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Best suggestion, simply use absolute URIs (after you have set up the
service correctly to use an appropriate user account):

DocumentRoot //machine/share/path

The UNC format is the same, except using forward instead of backslashes.
You obviously need to set up your <Directory "//machine/share/path">
blocks to correspond to the UNC path.

Bill

Posted by Dwayne Miller <dm...@espgroup.net>.
I have.