Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <jv...@zenplex.com> on 2002/02/06 22:42:20 UTC

Re: (Betwixt) a task for a volunteer [Was Re: digester data to XML]

On 2/6/02 2:25 PM, "James Strachan" <ja...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> There's a BeanReader that is-a Digester that tries to default some Digester
> rules - right now the code doesn't manage to default terribly many useful
> rules - but hopefully with some more work it might help minimise the amount
> of digester rules that are required. Because BeanReader is-a Digester you
> can always add other rules that don't get auto-generated.

You might also want to look at this:

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/jakarta-turbine-stratum/src/java/org/apache/st
ratum/xo/Mapper.java?rev=1.13&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

It automatically maps a 'common' XML bean format into a specified object.
The object can be created, or a live bean can be used. We're using this
successfully in turbine for a number of mappers and we don't have to specify
any rules provided the XML adheres to a simple format.

I was going to take a crack at modifying some of the betwixt code to get the
bidirectional behaviour working as I will need this in Tambora very shortly.
The mapper users dom4j to parse the XML.

All the code is stratum will eventually all be put in the commons so the
mapper will hopefully land in the commons in much the same fashion as the
struts utilities have landed in the commons.

> James
>

>> Regards,
>> Slawek
>>

>> --- robert burrell donkin <ro...@mac.com>
>> wrote:

>>> hi
>>>
>>> any help would be greatly appreciated :)
>>>
>>> the best candidate for a nice independent task would
>>> be to add the
>>> XMLBeanInfo extension mechansim. here's a paragraph
>>> i've pulled from one
>>> of james's posts:
>>>
>>> "I've been meaning to put an extension mechanism
>>> into XMLIntrospector that
>>> works like the extension mechanism in
>>> java.beans.Instropector. e.g. given
>>> FooBean class it would look on the classpath for a
>>> FooBeanXMLBeanInfo class
>>> using the same Java beans mechanism."
>>>
>>> if you're not familiar with BeanInfo's then you'll
>>> need to look up the
>>> java beans specs. the idea is that programmers would
>>> be able to create
>>> XMLBeanInfo classes which allow the bean->xml
>>> mapping to be customized in
>>> the same way that standard bean introspection can
>>> be.
>>>
>>> if you fancy giving this a go then please get back
>>> and i'll try to give
>>> you whatever help i can.
>>>
>>> - robert
>>>

>>> --
>>> For additional commands, e-mail:
>>> <ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

jvz.

Jason van Zyl

http://tambora.zenplex.org
http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine
http://jakarta.apache.org/velocity
http://jakarta.apache.org/alexandria
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons

Re: (Betwixt) a task for a volunteer [Was Re: digester data toXML]

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@yahoo.co.uk>.
From: "Jason van Zyl" <jv...@zenplex.com>
> On 2/6/02 2:25 PM, "James Strachan" <ja...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>

> > There's a BeanReader that is-a Digester that tries to default some
Digester
> > rules - right now the code doesn't manage to default terribly many
useful
> > rules - but hopefully with some more work it might help minimise the
amount
> > of digester rules that are required. Because BeanReader is-a Digester
you
> > can always add other rules that don't get auto-generated.
>
> You might also want to look at this:

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/jakarta-turbine-stratum/src/java/org/apache/st
> ratum/xo/Mapper.java?rev=1.13&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup
>
> It automatically maps a 'common' XML bean format into a specified object.
> The object can be created, or a live bean can be used. We're using this
> successfully in turbine for a number of mappers and we don't have to
specify
> any rules provided the XML adheres to a simple format.
>
> I was going to take a crack at modifying some of the betwixt code to get
the
> bidirectional behaviour working as I will need this in Tambora very
shortly.
> The mapper users dom4j to parse the XML.
>
> All the code is stratum will eventually all be put in the commons so the
> mapper will hopefully land in the commons in much the same fashion as the
> struts utilities have landed in the commons.

Thanks Jason - I'll take a look.

James

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>