Posted to user@mahout.apache.org by Lance Norskog <go...@gmail.com> on 2011/03/19 05:04:01 UTC

Stdev of RMS running average?

How should an Root-Mean-Square running average calculate the Standard
Deviation?
Should it tot up the raw samples and return as the standard version?
Or should it tot up the squares and return the square root?

--
Lance Norskog
goksron@gmail.com

Re: Stdev of RMS running average?

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
If you change RunningAverageAndStdDev so that you can set the mean to a
fixed value, then the standard deviation that comes out *is* RMS error.

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.
Well there are three activities here:

1) Construct some series of real numbers
2) Calculate statistics on that series, like mean or variance /
standard deviation (or higher moments like skew or kurtosis...)
3) Do something else with those numbers

Root-mean-square has meaning in the context of evaluating error of
predictions from reality, and plays out as:

1) In a series of predictions, square each difference between
prediction and reality
2) Calculate the mean
3) Take the square root of that mean

RunningAverage does #2, and its subclass RunningAverageAndStdDev also
does #2 but calculates the standard deviation too (square root of
second moment).

RunningAverage does not do #1-#3, and shouldn't. RMS is not another
statistic you calculate on a series -- it's not an nth moment of a
series. What are you trying to do then?

Posted by Lance Norskog <go...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.
Root-mean-square means the square root of the mean of the squared
differences between the correct answer and observed answer.

If you want to calculate the standard deviation of those squared
differences, sure you can do that in the usual way. I don't know of a
statistical use for that figure.