Posted to user@storm.apache.org by Richards Peter <hb...@gmail.com> on 2014/03/03 09:46:22 UTC

licensing model of storm

Hi team,

We are using storm 0.8.2 in our project. I have a query related to the
licensing model of storm and its dependent components.

Some parts of ZeroMQ used in storm 0.8.2 are licensed under LGPLv2.1 and
might be used. Some other parts of ZeroMQ components in storm 0.8.2  are
licensed under GPLv3/LGPLv3. Due to patent issues - legal & compliance, our
company policy states not to use software licenses under GPLv3 / LGPLv3.

This situation has left us with the following options:
1. Remove the dependency of our project on ZeroMQ/JZMQ in storm (by
upgrading to latest version of storm which doesn't use ZeroMQ/JZMQ)
2. Look for an alternative to Storm.

This situation has also raised the following questions:
1. How is storm truly open source?
2. How other companies are handling this licensing issue?.

Would you like to share your comments/thoughts about this situation?

Thanks,
Richards Peter.

Re: licensing model of storm

Posted by Richards Peter <hb...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Nathan,

Richards Peter.

Re: licensing model of storm

Posted by Nathan Marz <na...@nathanmarz.com>.
The latest Storm release 0.9.1 is all Apache-licensed. We replaced the
ZeroMQ transport with a Netty transport (though you can still use the
zeromq transport by changing the settings)

--
Twitter: @nathanmarz
http://nathanmarz.com