Posted to marketing@openoffice.apache.org by Samer Mansour <sa...@gmail.com> on 2013/02/20 06:07:05 UTC

Website Translation Solution Proposal

In communicating with Rob Weir earlier today about the google experiment
for integration of social media, he mentioned we were maintaining separate
pages for other languages.

One of the challenges in maintaining separate pages is making sure content
such as announcements are translated and communicated to the users in those
locales.
If missed, a segment of our users could be left out for important
information about the AOO project.

I'm proposing I find a translation solution with the following scope:
- To make our communication and announcements more uniform. eg. Home page
and download page.
- To make all our oo.org pages available to all users in their local
language. eg.http://www.openoffice.org/why/
- Make our lives easier when we roll out a branding refresh / template.

Here is a wiki page where I placed two solutions down:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO4+-+Websites+Translation
Language specific pages could be replaced with a redirection to the new
solution until Google other search engines pick it up.

One based on Google Translate, I've seen it on a commercial site and it was
really good, only if I remembered what company it was again.
The other is based on using our Pootle instance as translation repository.
This might require more initial work but could be more customizable and in
our control.

Samer

Re: Website Translation Solution Proposal

Posted by Kadal Amutham <vk...@gmail.com>.
But if you have a translator to help, what stops AOO in using the help? I
do not find any thing wrong in taking the help where ever it is available

With Warm Regards

V.Kadal Amutham
919444360480
914422396480

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kadal Amutham <vk...@gmail.com>.
What ever technology is used, ultimately the page shall be readable and
understandable. Else there is no point in using the technology. Either wait
till the technology matures or translate manually. By looking at the Google
translation, it is better to translate manually. Else the pages will be
meaningless and better left untranslated.

With Warm Regards

V.Kadal Amutham
919444360480
914422396480

On 20 February 2013 23:56, Andrew Rist <an...@oracle.com> wrote:

> On 2/20/2013 9:23 AM, Samer Mansour wrote:
>
>> Kadal,
>>
>> That is not a sustainable or scalable solution, not all volunteers have
>> time to create separate pages for over 60+ languages, we also don't have
>> the administrative power to support all those pages created.
>>
>> Which ever solution we do implement, you and other translators will be
>> able
>> to edit the translation directly from the CMS to correct grammatical
>> errors.  No need to manually create more pages or forked assets.
>>
>> If we go with Google's you'll be able to feed google with better
>> translations and improve their service for your community.
>> If we go with Pootle we potentially would be able to host more languages
>> than Google can offer.
>>

> At least initially, I think the Google solution will cover significantly
> more languages.
> Wouldn't the best workflow for this be:
>
>  * A small number of manually translated pages (why, download, ?)
> (with Google translated versions of these for languages without a
>    manual translation)
>  * Google translate for additional pages we want to cover - with a link
>    on the page to flag it as a suspect translation.
>  * Interested translators improve/fix pages by proposing an improved
>    translation to the google.
>
> My question is whether we can insure suggestions up stream to the google
> will always flow back down stream?
> If we could guarantee that, then we could even use this process for the
> 'important' pages.
>

> A.
>

>  This is the trade off between the two services.  Both would require some
>> coding on my part, so its negligible.  But both solutions scale.
>>
>> I need to take Rob's advice and tackle only a subset of pages we want to
>> translate by pootle and how we can leverage other less important pages
>> with
>> Google.
>>
>> Samer
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 12:01 PM, Kadal Amutham <vk...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>  I just checked that, it is utterly useless. At least for Tamil, I will
>>> translate all the pages manually, make it into HTML and give it to you
>>>
>>> With Warm Regards
>>>
>>> V.Kadal Amutham
>>> 919444360480

Posted by Andrew Rist <an...@oracle.com>.

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.
On 20 February 2013 19:18, Samer Mansour <sa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> This is an early investigation, I'm not familiar with Pootle.
> I will check to see if we can create a process to notify translators when
> something needs translating, such as their mailing list.
> In either situation I think we'll be gaining more translations with less
> overhead work. Its an improvement.

I happen to be quite familiar with both mdtext and pootle. It would be
techinally easy to write a script, that takes mdtext and updates the pootle
database (using po file structure), and of course going back again is
merely a question of updating svn.

Notifying translators, might be just as easy, and can be done with methods
already in place, using e.g. bugzilla. Create an issue in each langauge,
and ask translators to watch the issue. the script that updates pootle,
would then only need to make a comment in bugzilla.

rgds
jan I.

> Which pages we choose depends on what needs to be completed in each scope.
> I say we start with a small scope when we do eventually come up with a
> solution.  That way we can go revert if its not working well.  We should
> start with the Why page for this reason.
>
> Rob,
> If locale specific announcements don't happen often we could consider this.
> We could simply announce content for all locales, a conference in Spain
> isn't limited to those who read Spanish, or live there.
> A language release, isn't limited to a country or set of countries, as
> immigrants to other countries could use it.
> Am I forgetting any other cases for locale specific announcements?  Plus
> its great PR for all locales to hear we're global.
> My only concern is if there is multiple locale specific announcements a
> week, it may get busy looking, but it doesn't seem like its happening now.

the real problem, I think is to get a web structure that support these
languages and makes it easy to jump between them.

Posted by Claudio Filho <fi...@gmail.com>.
Hi

2013/2/20 Samer Mansour <sa...@gmail.com>:
> This is an early investigation, I'm not familiar with Pootle.
> I will check to see if we can create a process to notify translators when
> something needs translating, such as their mailing list.
> In either situation I think we'll be gaining more translations with less
> overhead work. Its an improvement.

Maybe we can use Website Meta Language - WML[1]
[1]http://thewml.org/

I gave some examples in other thread[2] and we can get it sync easy
and with some tools to monitoring the outdated pages[3].
[2]http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.apache.openoffice.devel/1361
[3]http://www.debian.org/devel/website/stats/pt#outdated

The problem is my time to reorganize and help this question, but I see
that this resource (WML) can be a good solution.

Regards,
Claudio

Re: Website Translation Solution Proposal

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 1:18 PM, Samer Mansour <sa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is an early investigation, I'm not familiar with Pootle.
> I will check to see if we can create a process to notify translators when
> something needs translating, such as their mailing list.
> In either situation I think we'll be gaining more translations with less
> overhead work. Its an improvement.
>
> Which pages we choose depends on what needs to be completed in each scope.
> I say we start with a small scope when we do eventually come up with a
> solution.  That way we can go revert if its not working well.  We should
> start with the Why page for this reason.
>
> Rob,
> If locale specific announcements don't happen often we could consider this.
> We could simply announce content for all locales, a conference in Spain
> isn't limited to those who read Spanish, or live there.
> A language release, isn't limited to a country or set of countries, as
> immigrants to other countries could use it.
> Am I forgetting any other cases for locale specific announcements?  Plus
> its great PR for all locales to hear we're global.
> My only concern is if there is multiple locale specific announcements a
> week, it may get busy looking, but it doesn't seem like its happening now.

There are two different things that maybe I was not sufficiently distinguishing:

1) Let's call the top center blue thing we have the "announcement"

2) And then call the column of additional messages we have on the right "news".

We could make the assumption that the "announcement" string is
project-wide and should be translated for each NL page.  Note that the
announcement is typically a string and a URL.  So the string is "Here
is important news about XXX" and the URL points to a page or blog post
containing details.  At the very least we should translate the
announcement string.  But in many cases we'll also translate the
supporting page.  But in some cases we won't.  So this might end up
being something where we look for a translation but have a fallback to
English if no translation is found.

The news column is similar, but I think there it might make sense to
have language-specific announcements also.

A data-driven approach might suggest keeping these announcements
together in one place, maybe an RSS or ATOM feed, and then have
metadata that describes its use.  For example, this announcement
should run from date A to date B in all languages, while this other
announcement is only in German between these dates, and this third
announcement (say a call for volunteers) can be done any time there is
room, but treat it as lower priority. Then we could rotate in
announcements on a daily basis without requiring explicit page and
column placement.

But maybe not start with that complexity.  Getting consistent use of a
template (any template) will make it easier to roll out more
complicated processing later.  So treating announcements and news as
site-wide for now is a good starting point.

Regards,

-Rob

Posted by Samer Mansour <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Donald Whytock <dw...@gmail.com>.

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.
If we think of having CMS interacting with pootle or google, we should
coordinate with Infra, so it can a solution available to all project within
ASF.

rgds
Jan I.

Ps. I am not sure how this scaled with the earlier proposal/idea from rob,
on the wiki maintenance thread.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Samer Mansour <sa...@gmail.com>.
Kadal,

Posted by Kadal Amutham <vk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Samer Mansour <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kadal Amutham <vk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Samer Mansour <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kadal Amutham <vk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Samer Mansour <sa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kadal Amutham <vk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 12:07 AM, Samer Mansour <sa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In communicating with Rob Weir earlier today about the google experiment
> for integration of social media, he mentioned we were maintaining separate
> pages for other languages.
>
> One of the challenges in maintaining separate pages is making sure content
> such as announcements are translated and communicated to the users in those
> locales.
> If missed, a segment of our users could be left out for important
> information about the AOO project.
>
> I'm proposing I find a translation solution with the following scope:
> - To make our communication and announcements more uniform. eg. Home page
> and download page.
> - To make all our oo.org pages available to all users in their local
> language. eg.http://www.openoffice.org/why/
> - Make our lives easier when we roll out a branding refresh / template.
>
> Here is a wiki page where I placed two solutions down:
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO4+-+Websites+Translation
> Language specific pages could be replaced with a redirection to the new
> solution until Google other search engines pick it up.

It might be possible to do a hybrid approach also, where some
languages have manually authored translations, in cases where we have
active volunteers, and other rely on machine translation via Google.

The manual translations require more work, but also would be higher quality.

It is reasonable to think that for every language we have a mini-site,
e.g., fr.openoffice.org that contains at least:

1) Homepage.

2) /why/ pages

3) /download/ pages

4) /product/ pages

5) One or more special pages for that language.  For example, the
Arabic page might have a page describing the support for RTL (bidi)
features.  The Japanese page might have a special page on support of
"ruby" annotations.  Other languages might have a special page on
spell checkers, grammar checkers, etc.  There could also be pages on
local marketing activities, user groups, online forums, etc., that
serve that community.

How we treat the site-wide announcements would require some thinking
as well.  And in some cases there might be announcements that apply to
only some language pages, e.g., a local conference.

-Rob

Posted by Kadal Amutham <vk...@gmail.com>.
 Which ever solution we do implement, you and other translators will be able
> to edit the translation directly from the CMS to correct grammatical
> errors.  No need to manually create more pages or forked assets.  By Rob
Weir

As a trial, one of the Tamil pages was translated automatically. All the
words are correctly translated. But, while forming a sentence there was a
complete failure and the text has become a combination of Tamil words,
understandable to none.

The option left out is, where ever volunteers are available for any
language, let that volunteers decide the best option for their language,
instead of forming a general policy across the globe for all the languages,
without knowing the structure and grammar of them

With Warm Regards

V.Kadal Amutham
919444360480
914422396480