Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Arne Brutschy <ma...@studserv.uni-leipzig.de> on 2003/11/06 09:47:05 UTC

Re[4]: EL Expression in html:hidden tag

Hello,

KS> I'm jumping in late on this thread, but why bother using Struts-EL at all under
KS> JSP 2.0? The original (RT) tags should be magically EL-aware as long as the app
KS> uses a Servlet 2.4 format web.xml, right?

Oh, really? I didn't know that. So I can work with the normal struts
lib? I just need to declare a 2.4 web-app?

Thanks,
Arne

Re: Re[4]: EL Expression in html:hidden tag

Posted by Kris Schneider <kr...@dotech.com>.
Yup, that's the theory anyway. As of JSP 2.0 (with a Servlet 2.4 format web.xml
that has not explicity deactivated EL evaluation), request-time attribute values
can be specified using either the familiar scriptlet expression (<%= %>) or the
EL (${}). So, any pre-JSP 2.0 tags that have attributes with
<rtexprvalue>true</rtexprvalue> in their TLD file will automatically be able to
use the EL for request-time attribute values.

--
Kris Schneider <ma...@dotech.com>
D.O.Tech       <http://www.dotech.com/>

Re: Re[4]: EL Expression in html:hidden tag

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.
Quoting Arne Brutschy <ma...@studserv.uni-leipzig.de>:

> Hello,
>
> Monday, November 3, 2003, 7:20:31 PM, you wrote:
> KS> I'm jumping in late on this thread, but why bother using Struts-EL at all
> under
> KS> JSP 2.0? The original (RT) tags should be magically EL-aware as long as
> the app
> KS> uses a Servlet 2.4 format web.xml, right?
>
> Oh, really? I didn't know that. So I can work with the normal struts
> lib? I just need to declare a 2.4 web-app?

And run in a Servlet 2.4 / JSP 2.0 container of course ;-)

Not only will EL expressions work for attributes in any tag (as long as the
attribute accepts runtime expressions), it will also work in template text.
Consider a snippet like this to display a table of stuff from a list of
customer beans in a scoped variable named "customers":

      <th>Account Id</th>
      <th>Customer Name</th>
      <th>Total Sales</th>
    <c:forEach var="customer" items="customers">
    </c:forEach>

JSP 2.0 has lots of other cool things to, including the ability to point at a
chunk of JSP code and treat it just like a tag, without having to write
anything in Java.

> Thanks,
> Arne

Craig