Posted to dev@tajo.apache.org by Eli Reisman <ap...@gmail.com> on 2013/11/10 21:02:53 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] next roadmap

+1 for bumping Hadoop/YARN compatibility to Hadoop 2.2.x GA release, Giraph
recently made the same move. The Hadoop 2 alpha and beta lines changed the
API's too often and starting with Hadoop 2.2 those API's to interact with
YARN are guaranteed to stay stable long-term for the first time.

I think because of this (and the low adoption of YARN clusters during the
Hadoop 2-alpha and beta periods) most users with YARN clusters will move to
Hadoop 2.2 quickly.

This _does_ break backward compatibility with earlier Hadoop 2 lines to
some extent, which is something to consider, but again I think its worth it
since the new API will be stable and we can really build on it. The
abstractions in the new API also wrap/abstract away some potential errors
client applications can make when negotiating resources with a YARN cluster.

Re: [DISCUSS] next roadmap

Posted by Hyunsik Choi <hy...@apache.org>.
Hi Eli,

Thank you for great advice.

As far as I know, there are few users who use Tajo in a yarn cluster
mode. In my opinion, we do not need to keep backward compatibility. I
also think that the new API which provides wrapper and helper classes
will simplify Tajo's Yarn components.

In addition, I'm considering two Yarn cluster modes. The first mode is
on-demand mode. In the on-demand mode, QueryMaster plays a role of an
ApplicationMaster. In Tajo, a query consists of multiple execution
blocks (i.e., steps). For each execution block, QueryMaster asks
YarnResourceManager to allocate necessary resources. Workers are
launched on allocated containers and are reused within an execution
block. The current implementation is based on this mode. This mode has
some initial overhead.

The second mode is a reserve mode. This is a concept similar to Llama
(http://cloudera.github.io/llama/) and Hoya
(http://hortonworks.com/blog/introducing-hoya-hbase-on-yarn/). In this
mode, an AM launches TajoMaster and Workers. They works until they
shutdown. This mode shows very low latency response times.

Ultimately, both modes would be useful depending on use cases. But, we
have only limited development resources now. We need to concentrate on
one mode right now. So, I'm thinking which one is more common usage in
real environments. If you have any idea, feel free to share your idea.

Best regards,
Hyunsik Choi