Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Jacopo Cappellato <ti...@sastau.it> on 2007/03/28 09:03:32 UTC

Removing unnecessary jdbc jar files

Hi all,

I think we could slim down (-6M) the size of the OFBiz trunk (and
upcoming distribution) by removing the following unneeded (?) jars, or
at least a part of them, from the framework/entity/lib/jdbc folder:

p6spy.jar (and also the spy.properties file)
hsqldb.jar
derbyclient.jar
derbynet.jar
derbyclient.jar
derbytools.jar
derbyTesting.jar
derbyLocale*.jar

We should just leave the derby.jar file (and add to it the version suffix).

I'm running OFBiz without them with no problems.

What do you think?

Jacopo

Re: Removing unnecessary jdbc jar files

Posted by "David E. Jones" <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
I've tested running without these for a bit too and don't see any
problems with it, especially where we are running in embedded mode.
It really is nice to have less stuff hanging around and trim out
unused things, especially since it's so easy to download a full derby
if someone needs/wants it.

How often do people actually use hsqldb? My vote would be to remove
it and p6spy and it's just kind of clutter that hasn't been updated
in a LONG time and I doubt it is used much, if ever, any more.

-David

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Jacopo,

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ti...@sastau.it>.
Hi all,

Re: Install application --- was Removing unnecessary jdbc jar files

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
The problem is there is no stability in the design to do a
implementation. At least the way I have done the install.

I something that works with the version I have, which is many versions
and structure behind where ofbiz is now.
It uses a tree type of outline to allow access to the setup data.
Trees are only expanded when the parent has been completed.
this resides in the webtools section and is run sort of like the install
is run.
Once someone says we have a freeze point, I would be glad to update my
code to that freeze point.

Walter Vaughan sent the following on 3/28/2007 3:06 PM:

Posted by Ludovic Maitre <lu...@free.fr>.
Walter Vaughan wrote:
> David E. Jones wrote:
>

>> The examples in the entityengine.xml file are pretty important for
>> people setting up with different databases.
>
> I have to agree strongly here. When I first looked at the project, the
> robust number of connectors clearly documented there was a "okay,
> these folks have something going on here" moment.
>
> What would be worthwhile for someone (not me :) ) is to develop a sort
> of installation application that basically follows the production
> setup guide to build configurations [demo, demo with external db,
> production] with radio buttons, check boxes, suggested values, etc...
> in order to get people up to speed and if nothing but a checklist
> during a transition.
Very good idea! We could do an IzPack (www.izforge.com/*izpack*/ )
installer for OfBiz, like this is done for Geronimo.
One good thing would be that we can use it in silent mode to install
OfBiz on several servers. Also and IMHO IzPack is really easy to use.
Let's find the human resources to do it :-)

--
Cordialement,
Ludo - http://www.ubik-products.com

Re: Removing unnecessary jdbc jar files

Posted by Walter Vaughan <wv...@steelerubber.com>.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ti...@sastau.it>.
I agree that the example are very important; in fact I was thinking to
move them in a separate enitityengine-other-databases.xml file and
maintain it in the same folder in svn (framework/entity/conf).

Jacopo

Posted by Chris Howe <cj...@yahoo.com>.
+1 on the docs.ofbiz.org dev space for specific jdbc datasource
definitions.  This will allow entityengine.xml to actually have meaning
to the deployment so the xml file can be used in applications (such as
providing a user with a listing of working datasources.

Posted by "David E. Jones" <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ti...@sastau.it>.