Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Carlos Alonso <ca...@cabify.com> on 2017/06/28 17:03:35 UTC

CouchDB 1.6 changes feed throughput decrease

Hi guys, we're seeing CouchDB changes feed dropping throughput after a few
minutes. Is this something known?

I've tried to isolate the problem by just reading from the changes feed and
throwing it into /dev/null. The send/receive speeds consistently go down
and I have no clue. Have any of you seen this before? Please find attached
a screenshot of our metrics. The purple line is the bytes sent metric from
the CouchDB node host and the blue one is the bytes received from where I
read it. The second peak is because I restart the curl process.

Any clue?

Regards[image: Screen Shot 2017-06-28 at 19.01.57.png]
--
[image: Cabify - Your private Driver] <http://www.cabify.com/>

*Carlos Alonso*
Data Engineer
Madrid, Spain

carlos.alonso@cabify.com

Prueba gratis con este código
#CARLOSA6319 <https://cabify.com/i/carlosa6319>
[image: Facebook] <http://cbify.com/fb_ES>[image: Twitter]
<http://cbify.com/tw_ES>[image: Instagram] <http://cbify.com/in_ES>[image:
Linkedin] <https://www.linkedin.com/in/mrcalonso>

--
Este mensaje y cualquier archivo adjunto va dirigido exclusivamente a su
destinatario, pudiendo contener información confidencial sometida a secreto

This message and any attached file are intended exclusively for the
addressee, and it may be confidential. You are not allowed to copy or
disclose it without Cabify's prior written authorization. If you are not
the intended recipient please delete it from your system and notify us by
e-mail.

Re: CouchDB 1.6 changes feed throughput decrease

Posted by Carlos Alonso <ca...@cabify.com>.
Following on this: We discussed about this issue on the Slack group and I
was suggested to try a normal feed instead of a continuous one and see if
the issue is still appearing.

I can now confirm that it doesn't happen.

The reason, on Adam Kocoloski words:

"The bigger picture is that every time a database is updated a little event
fires off inside the database. The process delivering your `_changes` feed
will subscribe to that event stream if you set `feed=continuous` so that it
knows when it needs to go back and collect new updates to send to you. At
one point in time that `_changes` did a poor job of managing its event
mailbox and would allow those messages to pile up unacknowledged while it
was delivering updates to you."

So I think I may need to use a normal feed while processing in the past and
switch to a continuous one whenever the process gets closer to 'now'.

Any other suggestions that you may think of?

Many thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.

Regards

Posted by Carlos Alonso <ca...@cabify.com>.
Hi Adam,

Posted by Carlos Alonso <ca...@cabify.com>.