Posted to user@karaf.apache.org by Steve <de...@gmail.com> on 2014/12/11 15:52:25 UTC

Recommended OSGi dependency version for use with Karaf 2.3.0

Karaf developers,

I’m currently working on a management-agent for JBoss Fuse 6.0 (which
leverages Karaf 2.3.0.redhat-60024).  Up until this point I’ve been
leveraging version 4.2.0 of the org.osgi/org.osgi.core artifact which
has worked without issue but lacks support for generics.  My usage of
version 4.2.0 of the aforementioned artifact was based on the fact
that Felix 3.x was certified as R4.2 compliant.  Yesterday I happened
to be looking at the Karaf dependencies matrix and noticed that the
“osgi” dependency for Karaf 2.3.0 was actually at 4.3.0 (something I
had been previously unaware of).   I contacted RedHat commercial
support for a clarification and they stated that while the version of
Felix used by Karaf 2.3.0 had passed the R4.3 compliance tests, it had
yet to be certified.  This makes sense as I can imagine becoming
certified by the OSGi alliance is non-trivial and may be an effort
only done once per major specification release.

That being said, I was hoping to get Karaf developers to weigh in
regarding their opinion in regards to which version of the
org.osgi/org.osgi.core artifact is recommended for use within Karaf
2.3.0; version 4.2.0 or 4.3.0?

Thanks,

Steven

Re: Recommended OSGi dependency version for use with Karaf 2.3.0

Posted by Steve <de...@gmail.com>.
JB,

No worries; I actually use them both interchangeably.  That being
said, I wouldn't have been offended anyway :-)

Best regards,

Steve

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
You're welcome.

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: Recommended OSGi dependency version for use with Karaf 2.3.0

Posted by Steve <de...@gmail.com>.
JB,

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Steve,