Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by sa...@gre.ac.uk on 2003/02/23 19:02:26 UTC

building an application from scratch - help required

Dear Mr Ship,

We are three computer science degree students from the University of Greenwich,
London.  Currently we are carrying out a research and development project for
our dissertation, based on the Tapestry 2.2-alpha 4 release.

We have spent 3 months investigating the Tapestry Framework and have a good
understanding of it's functionality and it’s construction.  We are now at the
stage of building a Tapestry application but cannot find any literature
relating to the process of compiling and deploying an application.

We have decided not to use Eclipse due to the lack of documentation of this
product.  Our current configuration environment is Editplus, what we need to
know is the basic steps to configure and deploy an application using Jetty.

This e-mail is the result of months of searching all available resources, from
Ceyenne to Eclipse with regard to a suitable development environment. We now
feel we are unable to continue with this project, which is quite disappointing
as we believe Tapestry is an interesting system.  We wish to continue with this
project but feel there is no avenue for us to do so.

We would appreciate your help with and advice and look forward to hearing from
you very soon.

Kind regards,

Derren Neligan
Andrea Schnebel
Merrin Hunt

Re: building an application from scratch - help required

Posted by Neil Clayton <ne...@cloudnine.net.nz>.

I'm going to make some assumptions in this reply, so If I get any wrong you're
going to need to let me know.

a) you are using Ant to perform the build process
b) you know how to create a WAR file

I'm going to assume that you will use Ant and it's <war> task to build the war
file that you wish to deploy. From there, you need only minimal configuration
to get a WAR file going.

If you want to see an example of this, check out the current HEAD from CVS and
look into the example code for Tutorial2. There is also provided a basic
'project' (it's an Ant project) that is intended to be used as a basis for
building Tapestry tutorial type projects (but it could be anything).

I am somewhat suprised that you say you have chosen to not use Eclipse due to
lack of docs. There is a healthy community for that project (www.eclipse.net,
I assume you're talking about the same thing).

Cheers,
Neil

On Sunday 23 Feb 2003 6:02 pm, sa034@gre.ac.uk wrote:
> Dear Mr Ship,
>
> We are three computer science degree students from the University of
> Greenwich, London.  Currently we are carrying out a research and
> development project for our dissertation, based on the Tapestry 2.2-alpha 4
> release.
>
> We have spent 3 months investigating the Tapestry Framework and have a good
> understanding of it's functionality and it’s construction.  We are now at
> the stage of building a Tapestry application but cannot find any literature
> relating to the process of compiling and deploying an application.
>
> We have decided not to use Eclipse due to the lack of documentation of this
> product.  Our current configuration environment is Editplus, what we need
> to know is the basic steps to configure and deploy an application using
> Jetty.
>
> This e-mail is the result of months of searching all available resources,
> from Ceyenne to Eclipse with regard to a suitable development environment.
> We now feel we are unable to continue with this project, which is quite
> disappointing as we believe Tapestry is an interesting system.  We wish to
> continue with this project but feel there is no avenue for us to do so.
>
> We would appreciate your help with and advice and look forward to hearing
> from you very soon.
>
> Kind regards,
>

> Derren Neligan
> Andrea Schnebel
> Merrin Hunt

- --
Regards,
Neil Clayton

(PS: If you see strange text you don't understand underneath my email, don't
worry - it's just my PGP signature)

RE: building an application from scratch - help required

Posted by "Howard M. Lewis Ship" <hl...@attbi.com>.
Are you familiar with Ant?

Hava you looked at how the examples are built and run?

Neil Clayton is working on a "template" Tapestry project, consisting of the
right layout, libraries, Ant build files, etc.

In terms of getting your started, check out this work-in-progress:

http://jakarta.apache.org/proposals/tapestry/ppt/TapestryCourse.ppt

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship
Creator, Tapestry: Java Web Components