Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org> on 2004/07/19 14:50:52 UTC

Re: AW: building a "myDefault" publication from default as stereotype for other pubs issues.

gian paolo ciceri wrote:

> Torsten Schlabach wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> I think part of Gian Paolos's question relate back to the fact that
>> *some*
>> administrative tasks in Lenya can be done through the CMS screens (in
>> other
>> words: through the web interface) while others cannot. I think this is
>> confusing to a lot of new users.
>

> Hello Torsten, thanks for your feedback.
>
> IMO, the real problem is that you *cannot* easily consolidate
> in pub sources (for the pub prototype) the activity you could easily
> do with CMS screens after prototype deployment.

Yes, this is really quite tricky.

> When you've deployed the pub, it's not easy bring back the diffs,
> so you've to work with sources and editor (that for me
> is perfectly accetable, generally speaking) but to see if what
> you've just done it's o.k. you've to deploy and then you
> cannot continue the customization of the deployed instance
> *if* you want to consolidate enhancements in the pub prototype.
>
> It's not a simple "workflow", but it's feasible: the important thing
> to know should be where there are *file dependencies*, in order to avoid
> to finally deploy an unstable thing -> but this is a moving target,
> since I suppose the files are not intended as a published API.

I agree. When the access control was designed, nobody had in mind
that a publication source could be shipped with a pre-defined set
of users. Therefore the design focuses on runtime setup of users,
groups etc. only.

A "quick fix" would be to write a how-to about integrating the
users, groups etc. from the build back to the source. In the long
run, an approach for "re-packaging" deployed publications as
source publications could be a nice solution.

-- Andreas