Posted to user@struts.apache.org by fr Rouxel <ro...@yahoo.com> on 2009/03/10 15:44:45 UTC

struts2 and dojo

Hi,

how can I use dojo 0.9 or dojo 1.0 with struts2.
I think struts 2 uses dojo 0.4 ?

thanks

Re: Google Web Toolkit and JQuery

Posted by Frans Thamura <fr...@meruvian.org>.
that will be awesome if we can integrate GWT with S2, esp in one project ;)

RIGHT now, i must compile and put in s2 project, and run it, debuging
is nightmarre here

anyone have experience with this, that willb e awesome

i think REST + JSON plugin will become th emost important thing in s2

On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 7:37 PM, Michael Finney <fi...@acm.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Reading from below "we want users to embrace and know JQuery", that's a
> powerful vision.
>
> I have thoughts about creating something with others that will be around for
> at least a couple years. In a few weeks, I plan on starting this project.
>
> I've heard great things about the Google Web Toolkit and thought about using
> it for this next project.  The other people I plan on working with like
> working with Java a lot more than JavaScript.
>
> As someone pointed out to me, jquery and Google Web Toolkit (GWT
> http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/ ) are very different.
>
> Will using GWT clash with struts2 focusing on jQuery? I wouldn't think so.
>
> [OT?]Will using GWT tie our hands and thus not avail ourselves of stuff
> jQuery has available?
>
> Architectural / technological choices like these are always interesting. :)
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> --
> Michael Finney - "Always Striving To Serve You Better Every Day"
> finney@ACM.org
> http://www.SmilingSoftwareSolutions.com

Frans Thamura
Meruvian
One Stop Java and Enterprise OSS Provider

Mobile: +62 855 7888 699
Blog & Profile: http://frans.thamura.info

Training JENI, Medallion (Alfresco, Liferay dan Compiere).. buruan...

Promo: Beli Zmanda Backup di Meruvian, 10% discount dari pricelist..
Buruan sekarang!!!

Re: Google Web Toolkit and JQuery

Posted by Wes Wannemacher <we...@wantii.com>.
On Sunday 15 March 2009 08:37:12 Michael Finney wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Reading from below "we want users to embrace and know JQuery", that's a
> powerful vision.
>
> I have thoughts about creating something with others that will be around
> for at least a couple years. In a few weeks, I plan on starting this
> project.
>
> I've heard great things about the Google Web Toolkit and thought about
> using it for this next project.  The other people I plan on working with
> like working with Java a lot more than JavaScript.
>
> As someone pointed out to me, jquery and Google Web Toolkit (GWT
> http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/ ) are very different.
>
> Will using GWT clash with struts2 focusing on jQuery? I wouldn't think so.
>
> [OT?]Will using GWT tie our hands and thus not avail ourselves of stuff
> jQuery has available?
>
> Architectural / technological choices like these are always interesting. :)
>
> Thanks for your help.

There was a GWT plugin at one point, but it doesn't appear to be working. I've
not used GWT myself, so I can't really attest to it's usefulness. Knowing that
it is used at Google for their own apps, I'm sure it scales up well.

The reason I've stayed away from it is that it seems much more intrusive to me
than JQuery. In my mind it fits more as an auxilliary plugin than JQuery.
JQuery can be brought into a project with very little effort. It is much more
thin, to me it is like Prototype. It provides simple utilities without
populating the JS namespace and it communicates between your server using
making no assumptions about the format of the data being sent back and forth.
If you want to send and receive JSON, HTML, XML or just some raw text that's
fine. On the server, you don't need to know that you're sending to JQuery and
in the browser.

Within the HTML, JQuery is only concerned about the ID attribute and/or the
class. To add to that, the entire library is usually made up of a single JS
class, so there is little concern about clashing namespaces. These factors
lead to an app that can degrade nicely if the user has javascript disabled.

If your question is whether or not you can use the two together, my gut
feeling is that the two would probably play nicely. But the non-intrusiveness
of JQuery is the main reason I think it makes for a good AJAX plugin for
Struts2.

-Wes

--

Wes Wannemacher
Author - Struts 2 In Practice

Re: struts2 and dojo

Posted by Wes Wannemacher <we...@wantii.com>.
On Wednesday 11 March 2009 01:00:14 Mohan Radhakrishnan wrote:
> newton.dave wrote:
> > pascal.gehring@freenet.de wrote:
> >> So please don't say that dojo-support is deprecated. This is wrong. Dojo
> >> just has moved!!
> >
> > Dojo is most certainly deprecated: deprecated means that support still
> > exists, but may, or will, stop being supported at some point in the
> > future.
> >
> > Dave
>
> Somehow I have missed that announcement. What does it actually mean ?

Mostly it means that we are _not_ planning on re-writing to support Dojo X
(where X > 0.4)

> What are the implications of this for projects that have to be in
> production for a long time ?

If your app is in production, then I would assume that you've QE'd it
sufficiently to make it there. There are no time-bombs that will cause your
app to fail because you are using a deprecated feature. There are plenty of
apps in the wild currently using Struts 1.2 (and we even hear of 1.1
periodically)

> Are you supporting JQuery in the future ?

Javascript and its frameworks tend to move at a different pace than the java
world. One of the recurring themes in Java is backward compatibility. This
means that sometimes things move slower, to make sure that all angles are
considered.

I've started and received significant contributions to a JQuery plugin. JQuery
is a better fit for us than Dojo was because it is slim, well-tested, and
seems to stay mostly API compatible.

There are a few design decisions being made differently with this plugin.
Mostly, rather than providing a complete abstraction from Javascript, the goal
will be to provide some helpful tags, but expose as much as possible. Rather
than trying to fit everything into the tags, we want users to embrace and know
JQuery.

> I know I should be expecting only voluntary support from a open-source
> project. Will the developers who are still working on DOJO support in
> Struts tags suddenly stop working ? Has the bug fixing stopped ?

I can say that you won't be getting any new features. Also, if progress of the
core library is hindered by supporting Dojo, it is likely we'll let the Dojo
plugin go.

If you have a significant interest in the Dojo tags, feel free to pull down
the source and make changes or contributions. A significant part of deciding
to deprecate the plugin is that the original developers find it difficult to
support. More than one person has attempted to upgrade it to Dojo 1.x and we
often find it requires a complete re-write. Rather than do that, we've decided

Re: struts2 and dojo

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@googlemail.com>.
2009/3/10 fr Rouxel <ro...@yahoo.com>:
> and when struts 2 will integrate dojo 1.0?

Support for Dojo was deprecated, some work is going on to integrate
Struts2 with jQuery

Regards
--
Lukasz
http://www.lenart.org.pl/

Re: struts2 and dojo

Posted by fr Rouxel <ro...@yahoo.com>.

Re: struts2 and dojo

Posted by Lukasz Lenart <lu...@googlemail.com>.
2009/3/11 Mohan Radhakrishnan <ra...@gmail.com>:
> Are you supporting JQuery in the future ?

There is work-in-progress on jquery-plugin

> I know I should be expecting only voluntary support from a open-source
> project. Will the developers who are still working on DOJO support in Struts
> tags suddenly stop working ? Has the bug fixing stopped ?

As I know no, bugs regarding Dojo still will be solved.

Regards
--
Lukasz
http://www.lenart.org.pl/