Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Scott Adamson <sc...@sywaretech.com.au> on 2002/08/19 17:36:16 UTC

Can't get tomcat 4 to work with mod_jk and Apache

I have been trying for the last week to get Apache + mod_jk + Tomcat 4 to
work.
I have confirmed that Tomcat works on 8080, confirmed that Apache is
running.

My configuration is as follows :

    OS -
    Redhat Linux 6.2

    Java -
    JAVA_HOME="/usr/java/jdk1.3"
    Installed via RPM

    Tomcat -
    Installed binary distribution of jakarta 4.0.4 at
/usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.4
    Created jakarta-tomcat-4.0.4/conf/jk/workers.properties as follows :

        workers.tomcat_home=/usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.4
        workers.java_home=/usr/java/jdk1.3
        ps=/
        worker.list=ajp12, ajp13
        worker.ajp13.port=8009
        worker.ajp13.host=toecutter
        worker.ajp13.type=ajp13

    Modified jakarta-tomcat-4.0.4/conf/server.xml as follows : (see
attached)

   #added line          <Listener
className="org.apache.ajp.tomcat4.config.ApacheConfig"
modJk="/usr/local/apache2/libexec/mod_jk-3.3-ap13-noeapi.so" />
and

      <Host name="toecutter" debug="0" appBase="webapps" unpackWARs="true">
    #added line       <Listener
className="org.apache.ajp.tomcat4.config.ApacheConfig" append="true"
forwardAll="false" />

    Apache -
    Compiled Apache1.3.19 with the following config -
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/apache2 --enable-module=so
    Added the following to httpd.conf (see attached)
        Include /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.4/conf/auto/mod_jk.conf

    mod_jk -
    Added the binary mod_jk-3.3-ap13-noeapi.so to /usr/local/apache2/libexec

/apache2/logs/error_log contains the following :

[Tue Aug 20 02:08:20 2002] [error] [client 192.168.0.7] File does not exist:
/usr/local/apache2/htdocs/examples/

indicating that it isn't even trying to redirect and looks for /examples
under /apache2/htdocs
Can someone please help me (thanks to those who have already tried), can
someone see a problem with my configuration ?

Scott Adamson
Systems Administrator
Syware Technology

scottadamson@sywaretech.com.au
http://upe.com.au

Re: Can't get tomcat 4 to work with mod_jk and Apache

Posted by Milt Epstein <me...@uiuc.edu>.
On Wed, 21 Aug 2002, Scott Adamson wrote:

> Yes I have read the other threads and all the documentation, and I
> didn't find anyone else with exactly the same problem. I don't think
> I have abused this list at all (if Tomcat was documented properly I
> doubt I would need to ask questions), apologies for the duplicates,
> but there seems to be a delay of several hours between my messages
> being sent and appearing on the list, I didn't know this so I resent
> it. Yes I will keep using this list as I don't see other way to get
> the damn thing to work, I believe I have exhausted all other
> sources. I can't spare the time + bandwidth for a flame war with you
> Milt, so unless you want to talk about Tomcat, I think I will ignore
> this thread.

More than half my post below was about Tomcat, with suggestions on how
you can solve your problem.  The other problem may not have been
*exactly* the same as yours, but it was *very close*, close enough
that I'd strongly suspect that what worked there (as well as some of
the other comments/suggestions in that thread) will give you a lot of
useful information in coming up with a solution to yours.  You can't
expect to have a solution handed to you on a silver platter, you may
need to take the suggestions and play around with them, try some
variations.  Yes, I know it can be frustrating, but sometimes that's
what you have to do.

Yes, Tomcat's documentation is not perfect, especially when it comes
to connecting Tomcat to Apache -- lots of people have complained about
it, including me -- but it is a volunteer project, and documentation
is often the lowest priority.

Milt Epstein
Research Programmer
Systems and Technology Services (STS)
mepstein@uiuc.edu

Re: Can't get tomcat 4 to work with mod_jk and Apache

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

Re: Can't get tomcat 4 to work with mod_jk and Apache

Posted by Milt Epstein <me...@uiuc.edu>.
On Tue, 20 Aug 2002, Scott Adamson wrote:

> I have been trying for the last week to get Apache + mod_jk + Tomcat
> 4 to work.  I have confirmed that Tomcat works on 8080, confirmed
> that Apache is running.
[ ... ]