Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Jarmo Doc <ja...@hotmail.com> on 2005/09/20 00:25:39 UTC

Session handling, do it yourself?

I've been investigating session handling and have almost convinced myself
that for my particular situation I should just do it myself.  Each of my WS
clients juggle multiple end-user sessions so the simple, default cookie
solution doesn't work on its own (because the cookie identifies the WS
client session, not an end-user session).

I've looked into using SOAP headers but it just seems to be too complex --
I'd have to write server code, my clients would have to write code, plus
we'd need special WSDD at both server (not too bad) and *all* clients (very
undesirable).  Also, as far as I can tell, I couldn't use java2wsdl to
generate the WSDL for session handling so it would have to be maintained
manually.

So all of this is leading me to the conclusion that I should just do it
myself: have my login() operation return a string containing a session ID
and then specify that as the 1st parameter on all subsequent session-based
operations.  It's trivial code to write and the auto-generated WSDL is
correct (and describes session handling to clients in a quite obvious
fashion).

Am I way off base here and missing something?  Thanks.