Posted to dev@shindig.apache.org by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de> on 2008/05/22 16:56:02 UTC

GadgetFeatureRegistry and HttpFetcher

Hi,

while wiring Shindig inside our platform, I noticed that
GadgetFeatureRegistry insists on getting a HttpFetcher implementation
through Guice. This is then sent to the JsFeatureLoader used to load
the features. Basically, this allows a feature to contain external
URLs. The problem now is, while we might allow some parts of the app
to access these, I don't want the JsFeatureLoader to go out and grab
external stuff for features.

Would you accept a patch that qualifies the HttpFetcher injection in
the GadgetFeatureRegistry with an annotation and also allows this
parameter to be null so that no external files are pulled in.

Not to nag, but I feel a bit unsafe having my Shindig container go out
and pull in the analytics files from Google every time at startup. It
took me a while to notice this and I want to clamp down on it.

     Best regards
     	  Henning

--
Henning P. Schmiedehausen  -- hps@intermeta.de | J2EE, Linux,
91054 Buckenhof, Germany   -- +49 9131 506540  | Apache person

INTERMETA - Gesellschaft fuer Mehrwertdienste mbH - RG Fuerth, HRB 7350
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Buckenhof. Geschaeftsfuehrer: Henning Schmiedehausen

           "...it's good to be a lunatic..." -- 10th doctor

Re: GadgetFeatureRegistry and HttpFetcher

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.
"Kevin Brown" <et...@google.com> writes:

>On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 7:56 AM, Henning P. Schmiedehausen
><hp...@intermeta.de> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> while wiring Shindig inside our platform, I noticed that
>> GadgetFeatureRegistry insists on getting a HttpFetcher implementation
>> through Guice. This is then sent to the JsFeatureLoader used to load
>> the features. Basically, this allows a feature to contain external
>> URLs. The problem now is, while we might allow some parts of the app
>> to access these, I don't want the JsFeatureLoader to go out and grab
>> external stuff for features.
>>
>> Would you accept a patch that qualifies the HttpFetcher injection in
>> the GadgetFeatureRegistry with an annotation and also allows this
>> parameter to be null so that no external files are pulled in.

>If you don't want external files being loaded, just don't put any in
>your features directory. All of the standard features are loaded
>locally.

Well, the default implementation of shindig, which is intentended to
be production-level quality does pull external files in at startup,
which might come as a surprise to some who did not look too
closely. The fact that it is possible by default (and does not need to be
explicitly enabled) contradicts IMHO the priciple of least surprise. :-)

>> Not to nag, but I feel a bit unsafe having my Shindig container go out
>> and pull in the analytics files from Google every time at startup. It
>> took me a while to notice this and I want to clamp down on it.

>The analytics thing is a hack to make sure that igoogle gadgets can
>run on other containers. If you don't care about supporting any of
>those gadgets, just delete features/analytics (or replace it with
>something else).

It's enabled by default and the reason for SHINDIG-299.

     Best regards
     	  Henning

--
Henning P. Schmiedehausen  -- hps@intermeta.de | J2EE, Linux,
91054 Buckenhof, Germany   -- +49 9131 506540  | Apache person
Open Source Consulting, Development, Design    | Velocity - Turbine guy

INTERMETA - Gesellschaft fuer Mehrwertdienste mbH - RG Fuerth, HRB 7350
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Buckenhof. Geschaeftsfuehrer: Henning Schmiedehausen

   "Professor Peach in the library with the lead piping!" -- Donna

Re: GadgetFeatureRegistry and HttpFetcher

Posted by Kevin Brown <et...@google.com>.