Posted to commits@pig.apache.org by Apache Wiki <wi...@apache.org> on 2007/11/08 00:00:15 UTC

[Pig Wiki] Update of "HowToContribute" by OlgaN

Dear Wiki user,

You have subscribed to a wiki page or wiki category on "Pig Wiki" for change notification.

The following page has been changed by OlgaN:
http://wiki.apache.org/pig/HowToContribute

            * Define methods within your class whose names begin with test, and call JUnit's many assert methods to verify conditions; these methods will be executed when you run ant test.
            * Place your class in the test tree.
            * you can run all the unit test with the command `ant test`, or you can run a specific unit test with the command `ant test -Dtestcase=<ClassName>` (For example `ant test -Dtestcase=TestPigFile`)
+
+ In addition to code changes, changes to the site documentation might be necessary. If so, please, follow the steps:
+     * Install [http://forrest.apache.org/ forrest]
+     * Checkout site documentation: `svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/pig/site/`
+     * Edit files in `author/src/documentation/content/xdocs`. See http://forrest.apache.org/ for documentation.
+     * Build the site: (Make sure that JAVA_HOME pointes to java 1.5 as forrest does not work with java 1.6)
+         * `cd author`
+         * `forrest`
+     * Inspect what's in build/site with your browser
+     * Once you are happy with the outcome, commit your changes:
+         * `cp -pr build/site/* ../publish`
+         * `cd ..`
+         * `svn stat`
+         * `svn add ...`
+         * `svn commit -m "blah blah"`
+     * Upload the changes to the documentation site: (The changes will appear an 1 hour after the update.)
+         * `ssh people.apache.org`
+         * `cd /www/incubator.apache.org/pig`
+         * `svn up`

  == Generating a patch ==
  === Compilation ===

RE: [Pig Wiki] Update of "HowToContribute" by OlgaN

Posted by Olga Natkovich <ol...@yahoo-inc.com>.
Ok, I can move it.

Olga

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.
Olga Natkovich wrote:
> The reason I put it into contribute is because the content of Contribute
> have this level of details of the actual work that needs to be done in
> preparation for patch. I can add that this is relevant for committers
> only or move it - either way is fine with me.

The HowToContribute page is typically where you point folks new
contributors to the project.  As such it should not mention things that
these folks cannot do.  The HowToCommit page is where we point folks who
are new committers to the project.  Stuff about deploying the
documentation, which is only relevant to committers, should be on the
HowToCommit page, I think.

Doug

RE: [Pig Wiki] Update of "HowToContribute" by OlgaN

> The following page has been changed by OlgaN:
> http://wiki.apache.org/pig/HowToContribute
[ ... ]
> + In addition to code changes, changes to the site documentation might
be necessary. If so, please, follow the steps:

Only committers can publish the website, so this is better off on the
HowToCommit page, no?

Doug

Re: [Pig Wiki] Update of "HowToContribute" by OlgaN

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.