Posted to dev@knox.apache.org by Kevin Minder <ke...@hortonworks.com> on 2013/03/20 22:35:28 UTC

Created Apache Knox Gateway v0.2.0 RC2

Hi Everyone,
I decided to cut and share v0.2.0 RC2 of the gateway.  I tagged the repo
with v0.2.0-rc2.

For those in Hortonworks I uploaded a ZIP here
https://docs.google.com/a/hortonworks.com/file/d/0BzcmnaxIHtiAZkxhQWZCQ21yWTA/edit

Everyone else should be able to create their own following these
instructions.
http://knox.incubator.apache.org/release-process.html

The Apache site is starting to come along.
http://knox.incubator.apache.org/

Of particular interest are the links in the Documentation section of the
left Nav bar.
http://knox.incubator.apache.org/getting-started.html
http://knox.incubator.apache.org/examples.html
http://knox.incubator.apache.org/client.html
http://knox.incubator.apache.org/sandbox.html

I wrote and reorganized a bunch of documentation over the last few days
and I haven't "tested" all of it yet.  So there may need to be some
tweaks there and an RC3.  Functionally however the more eyes the better
so give it a spin.  We are especially interested in feedback.

Kevin.

Re: Created Apache Knox Gateway v0.2.0 RC2

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Not screwing up. *learning*

And doing a fine, respectable, job of learning.

Keep it up.

Cheers,
Chris

Posted by Kevin Minder <ke...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Thank you, Kevin. I appreciate it and just trying to help avoid hassle down
the road that it may cause.

Thanks again.

Cheers,
Chris

Posted by Kevin Minder <ke...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hi Kevin,

Posted by Kevin Minder <ke...@hortonworks.com>.
Hi Everyone,

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hey Alan,

You beat me to it. :)

Looking forward to the replies.

Cheers,
Chris

Posted by Alan Gates <ga...@hortonworks.com>.
Kevin,

Posted by Kevin Minder <ke...@hortonworks.com>.
Good catch.  I've updated locally and the fix will be included the next
time I push and publish the site.

Posted by Pramod Thangali <pt...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Pramod Thangali <pt...@hortonworks.com>.
Kevin/Larry,

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.

Posted by Devaraj Das <dd...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hey Alan,

On 3/21/13 8:03 AM, "Alan Gates" <ga...@hortonworks.com> wrote:

>On Mar 20, 2013, at 11:16 PM, Mattmann, Chris A (388J) wrote:
>
>> Hi Alan,
>>
>> [..snip..]
>>>
>>> If I understand correctly your goal here is not a release (at least not
>>> yet), but rather to produce shared snapshots for people.  If that's
>>> correct, then putting it on people.apache.org and calling it something
>>> that doesn't have RC in the name is fine.  In Apache speak RC means
>>> something people are going to vote on to release.  Just call it
>>> knox-0.2.0-SNAPSHOT.  That's what I've seen most projects do for their
>>> maven nightly uploads.
>>
>> Can you name such projects? They're probably not doing the (socially)
>> right thing, but infra@ just hasn't caught them yet.
>>
>> If you don't want to name them (based on that) that's cool too ;)
>>
>> But yeah, putting things we don't intend to release at Apache on
>> people.a.o is not really best practice since arguably people.a.o
>> isn't there to share files, especially non authoritative releases that
>> could be considered releases (or RCs) by their place and name.
>
>I think we have some confusion here.  I was not saying that any projects
>I know of post nightly snapshots on people.apache.org, nor was I
>suggesting that be done in Knox on a regular basis.  Kevin had something
>he wanted to share right now and since the infrastructure wasn't there it
>seemed like the best place to do it.
>
>What I was saying about other projects was how they name their nightly
>snapshots, which is <project_name>-<anticipated_next_version>-SNAPSHOT.
>All the projects I am involved in (Pig, Hive, HCatalog) upload their
>nightly snapshots to maven, which Knox may also want to do at some point
>in the future.

Ahh yes, I was confused (happens enough times ;) ).

Sorry about that Alan!

Cheers,
Chris

Re: Created Apache Knox Gateway v0.2.0 RC2

Posted by Alan Gates <ga...@hortonworks.com>.
On Mar 20, 2013, at 11:16 PM, Mattmann, Chris A (388J) wrote:

> Hi Alan,
>
> [..snip..]
>>
>> If I understand correctly your goal here is not a release (at least not
>> yet), but rather to produce shared snapshots for people.  If that's
>> correct, then putting it on people.apache.org and calling it something
>> that doesn't have RC in the name is fine.  In Apache speak RC means
>> something people are going to vote on to release.  Just call it
>> knox-0.2.0-SNAPSHOT.  That's what I've seen most projects do for their
>> maven nightly uploads.
>
> Can you name such projects? They're probably not doing the (socially)
> right thing, but infra@ just hasn't caught them yet.
>
> If you don't want to name them (based on that) that's cool too ;)
>
> But yeah, putting things we don't intend to release at Apache on
> people.a.o is not really best practice since arguably people.a.o
> isn't there to share files, especially non authoritative releases that
> could be considered releases (or RCs) by their place and name.

I think we have some confusion here.  I was not saying that any projects I know of post nightly snapshots on people.apache.org, nor was I suggesting that be done in Knox on a regular basis.  Kevin had something he wanted to share right now and since the infrastructure wasn't there it seemed like the best place to do it.

What I was saying about other projects was how they name their nightly snapshots, which is <project_name>-<anticipated_next_version>-SNAPSHOT.  All the projects I am involved in (Pig, Hive, HCatalog) upload their nightly snapshots to maven, which Knox may also want to do at some point in the future.

>>> 3. v0.1.0 and v0.2.0-rc1
>>>
>>> We had all of our history from the GitHub repository imported into the
>>> Apache Git repo where we have continued working.  Therefore there are
>>> existing tags for the v0.1.0 and v0.2.0-rc1 so I thought it made the
>>> most sense to continue on.  I do acknowledge in hindsight that this is
>>> something that should have been discussed.
>>
>> Version numbers don't matter and the first release of Knox can certainly
>> be 0.2 if that fits with where the code's at.
>
> True, but it should be discussed. Those who are doing the work will
> inevitably, decide.

Agreed.

> Cheers,
> Chris

Alan.

Re: Created Apache Knox Gateway v0.2.0 RC2

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hi Alan,

Posted by Alan Gates <ga...@hortonworks.com>.
On Mar 20, 2013, at 3:53 PM, Kevin Minder wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
> Lets see, this is all just a symptom of me learning the ropes here and transitioning into the open development mode.  So let me address each point I believed was raised so that I get concrete feedback about how to improve and proceed.

No worries.  That's what incubation if for, to learn.  When you have questions feel free to send them to this list and we mentors should be all over them.

> [...]
>
> 2. Release vote
>
> We want to avoid co-development at all costs too but at the same time we still need to make progresss, name and cut "unofficial releases" to evaluate both at Hortonworks and also to court potential community members.  What should we be calling these to stay within the rules?  I specifically left the SNAPSHOT in everything as an attempt.  I expect that there is still significant work that needs to be done to create something that will pass legal for an official Apache release.  I have more work to do to understand exactly what needs to be in the LICENSE and NOTICE files at a minimum.  When that was done I was planning on asking about calling for a vote.

If I understand correctly your goal here is not a release (at least not yet), but rather to produce shared snapshots for people.  If that's correct, then putting it on people.apache.org and calling it something that doesn't have RC in the name is fine.  In Apache speak RC means something people are going to vote on to release.  Just call it knox-0.2.0-SNAPSHOT.  That's what I've seen most projects do for their maven nightly uploads.

> 3. v0.1.0 and v0.2.0-rc1
>
> We had all of our history from the GitHub repository imported into the Apache Git repo where we have continued working.  Therefore there are existing tags for the v0.1.0 and v0.2.0-rc1 so I thought it made the most sense to continue on.  I do acknowledge in hindsight that this is something that should have been discussed.

Version numbers don't matter and the first release of Knox can certainly be 0.2 if that fits with where the code's at.

> 3. Co-development
>
> There is no active private repository for this.  Everything is being committed to the Apache git repo at this point.  Larry and I in particular need to find the right balance between high bandwidth brain storming (e.g. face:face, IM, phone) and email discussions on dev@knox.
>
> 4. Jira
>
> Devarj filed INFRA-5922 on March 1st to have Jira setup.  I would much rather be using the Apache Jira so anything that can be done to speed that up would be appreciated.  I'll take the reference to the Hortonworks Jira out of the docs and I guess we will just have to keep track of any issues discovered in email.  I'll come up with some email subject convention (e.g. [BUG])

Alan.

Re: [DISCUSS] Kevin Minder for initial release manager? (was Re: Created Apache Knox Gateway v0.2.0 RC2)

Posted by Kevin Minder <ke...@hortonworks.com>.
Hi Everyone,
With three +1s (Chris,Larry,Sumit) and zero -1s or VETOs I'll be taking
the role of release manager for the 0.2.0 of Knox if and when that is
initiated.
Kevin.

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hi Kevin,

Posted by Kevin Minder <ke...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Sumit Mohanty <sm...@hortonworks.com>.
+1

Posted by larry mccay <la...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
+1 to what Alan says below which basically summarizes what I extrapolated
on.

Sorry I'm verbose :P

Cheers,
Chris

Posted by Alan Gates <ga...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by Devaraj Das <dd...@hortonworks.com>.
On (1), it will be audited when the release is made if not earlier.
On (2) & (3) http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html has
a bunch of instructions. I haven't personally made releases. But I bet
someone else from the mentor list should be able to help you on this.

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hey Kevin,

Now that the [DISCUSS] RM thread is out of the way I'll try and
answer your questions to the best of my ability below:

On 3/20/13 4:00 PM, "Kevin Minder" <km...@gmail.com> wrote:

>So in trying to get ready to do a release I do really need help figuring
>out a few things.  Clearly trying to figure it all out myself is
>inappropriate.
>
>1. LICENSE and NOTICE - I think I know what to do but how do I know if
>I'm right?  Will someone be auditing this?

JFDI -- I'll try and help where I can. Others can too.

Basic principle:

1. Work on it now in dev@knox
2. On the first RC, once we are ready to take it to general@incubator.a.o
expect a guy named sebb to come out of the wood work and comment/have a
bunch of suggestions.
3. Expect to spin more new RCs after this :)
4. Expect time N+1 for next release version to go a lot easier

>2. Artifact signatures - No idea how this is typically done for a Java
>project.  Any pointers?

Check out Apache Tika. It generates these automatically:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tika/trunk/pom.xml

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tika/trunk/tika-parent/pom.xml

See how it inherits from the Apache parent? That parent pom
along with the Tika root pom.xml generates MD5 and SHA1 on mvn
release:prepare and mvn release:perform steps.
See:

http://wiki.apache.org/tika/ReleaseProcess

Also you should generate your ASF key if you don't have one yet:

http://www.apache.org/dev/release-signing.html

>3. What else needs to be in place to initiate a release vote?
>
>So basically I'm personally interested in starting the process of
>releasing 0.2.0.  How knows how many RCs it will take.  Do we need to
>vote on starting that?

Nope no need to VOTE on starting that. I've started a DISCUSS thread for
you
to be the RM. If there aren't any objections in the next 48 hours (which
use
the time to prep based on the above comments) which I doubt there will be,
be ready in the next few days to start the process.

Loose idea of how it works:

0. Wait 48 hours, and I'll declare DISCUSS thread done (or you just move
fwd then yourself without hinging on me)
1. Go through release process:

(something like Tika, but follow this since we are still in Incubator)

http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html

1a. Ask questions on this list (dev@) anywhere you get stuck
2. Eventually produce a [VOTE] Apache Knox Gateway version <X - we should
discuss this, perhaps separate thread?> release RC #[N, N starts at 1]
  - artifacts to VOTE on
  - SHA and MD5 checksums
  - ASC files
  - possibly Maven staging repo on https://repository.apache.org/
3. Try and muster 3 +1s from your mentors who are on the IPMC (if you get
that, all we need to do is NOTIFY general@incubator.a.o and it's a lot
easier, so mentors step up and VOTE)
4. Eventually go to general@incubator.a.o - watch for folks to come out of
the wood work. Assume they are trying to help. Don't get pissed when you
have to spin more RCs.
5. Pass general@incubator.a.o. Pop open a beer. Make release. [did I say
that]?

Cheers,
Chris

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hah! I hear you on that. I appreciate you doing it though, it's a great
service
to the community.

Cheers,
Chris

Posted by Kevin Minder <ke...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hey Kevin,

Posted by Kevin Minder <km...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Mattmann, Chris A (388J)" <ch...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
Hi Kevin,

On 3/20/13 3:53 PM, "Kevin Minder" <ke...@hortonworks.com> wrote:

>Hi Everyone,
>Lets see, this is all just a symptom of me learning the ropes here and
>transitioning into the open development mode.  So let me address each
>point I believed was raised so that I get concrete feedback about how to
>improve and proceed.

No worries. I'm just trying to help too, and it's a learning process for
everyone. I'm a total fan of people trying to "do" around here; it's how
things get done ^_^

>1. Snapshot upload
>
>I certainly understand the "second class" citizen concern here and I was
>concerned about it myself.  At the time I thought my only option was a
>private email about the upload.  I thought that was worse that
>discussing it publically.

All discussion at Apache is done publicly. 99% of it. The 1% that's not
is about people and sensitive issues (mostly having to do with people).

We are measured (and we report out) on public mailing list activity, so
when in doubt, be public :)

> Ideally I would expect these type of frequent
>snapshot distributions to be built via CI.  We don't have that setup
>yet.  I will file a Jira for that but given the information I received
>in the general@incubator thread this seemed like it could take awhile.

Snapshot builds can be set up through repository.apache.org, since I
believe
Knox is a Java project and you really want to push out jars, correct?

repository.apache.org is a Sonatype Nexus server, with full sync ability to
the Central repository (even as an Incubator podling) on Apache release,
and with snapshots provided as well (pre-release).

>In the meantime I like Alan's suggestion of uploading to
>apache.org/~kminder.  I'll do that and send another email.

You are talking about for the RCs, right?

I'd imagine you'd use a combination of:

1. Uploading the signed, src release (with MD5 and SHA1) to
people.a.o/~kminder
2. Use repository.apache.org to stage the binary jars and create a Maven
staging
repo

See examples of this in Tika:

http://s.apache.org/FT2

One social note: I would expect before a release that a [DISCUSS] thread
occurs,
so that everyone can get on the same page for what's in it, why it needs
to be made,
who the Release Manager is (e.g., in this case you), etc.

>2. Release vote
>
>We want to avoid co-development at all costs too but at the same time we
>still need to make progresss, name and cut "unofficial releases" to
>evaluate both at Hortonworks and also to court potential community
>members.
>  What should we be calling these to stay within the rules?

Understood.

They aren't Apache releases, so you can't call them Apache Knox
(Incubating).
If you need to fork e.g., into a local Hortonworks repo, and release that,
we don't/can't police that here at the ASF, so you have to wear both hats.
Here at the ASF, it's not a big 'O' official release until it's VOTEd on,
signed, and the processes of the org are followed.

Internally I would encourage you and the Hortonworks crew to try and
increase
the speed of releases here at the ASF, and then mix that in with svn or git
tagging/insulation of project critical things but those are internal
insulation,
and you aren't "distributing" those to anyone besides inside of your
company, correct?

If you are, then the name needs to change for those, etc etc.

>specifically left the SNAPSHOT in everything as an attempt.  I expect
>that there is still significant work that needs to be done to create
>something that will pass legal for an official Apache release.

Why is that? These are the things that we want to discuss here.

>  I have
>more work to do to understand exactly what needs to be in the LICENSE
>and NOTICE files at a minimum.  When that was done I was planning on
>asking about calling for a vote.

Gotcha.

Well in the meanwhile, Hortonworks can do whatever it wants internally,
but it's not Apache Knox (Incubating). That happens here at the ASF.

>3. v0.1.0 and v0.2.0-rc1
>
>We had all of our history from the GitHub repository imported into the
>Apache Git repo where we have continued working.  Therefore there are
>existing tags for the v0.1.0 and v0.2.0-rc1 so I thought it made the
>most sense to continue on.  I do acknowledge in hindsight that this is
>something that should have been discussed.

Yeah we should just have a [DISCUSS] thread on the Apache RC, whenever
you (or any PPMC member) is ready to try and cut a release and be an
Apache RM. Happy to discuss version #'ing then.

>3. Co-development
>
>There is no active private repository for this.  Everything is being
>committed to the Apache git repo at this point.  Larry and I in
>particular need to find the right balance between high bandwidth brain
>storming (e.g. face:face, IM, phone) and email discussions on dev@knox.

Well, that's fine, but Larry and you aren't the only devs on the project.
There is a Podling Project Management Committee (PPMC) here at the ASF:

http://incubator.apache.org/guides/ppmc.html

They are basically like a PMC:

http://www.apache.org/dev/pmc.html

(just not officially endorsed by the ASF until graduation from the
Incubator).

That being said, you and Larry can discuss whatever you want at
Hortonworks,
but decisions (and *code*) happen here at the ASF for Apache Knox
(Incubating).
And those happen on the mailing lists.

I would encourage you not to have lots of offline and off list discussions
pertaining
to Knox, and then to come here with a flush of what you guys decided.
That's not the way
it works and it will cause other folks here in the community (like me) to
ask things like:

1. Please reference that discussion with a link to the email at
mail-archives.apache.org
2. Please cite the VOTE thread(s)
3. Blah blah blah :)

>4. Jira
>
>Devarj filed INFRA-5922 on March 1st to have Jira setup.  I would much
>rather be using the Apache Jira so anything that can be done to speed
>that up would be appreciated.  I'll take the reference to the
>Hortonworks Jira out of the docs and I guess we will just have to keep
>track of any issues discovered in email.  I'll come up with some email
>subject convention (e.g. [BUG])

Better yet, jump on #asfinfra, and (cordially) ask infra peeps to speed
things along.
Anyone can do that. Mentors can help too. I've just asked politely in a
comment on
INFRA-5922 for some expeditious work on JIRA:

http://s.apache.org/L6q

>Continued feedback appreciated.

You are doing great. Keep it up.

I'll keep trying to mentor where I can and where I think it's needed.

Thanks for your hard work Kevin.

Cheers,
Chris

Posted by Kevin Minder <ke...@hortonworks.com>.