Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by "Klein, Scott @ TW" <sc...@L-3com.com> on 2002/12/11 20:17:02 UTC

Log4J Log Viewer GUI (a la LogFactor5)

The last time I looked at GUIs for viewing log files they were pretty
inadequate, so I needed to write my own.

Is there a need/want for a log file viewer gui in the log4j project? My
request to allow release to public domain will probably be declined unless
it will go into the log4j distribution.

Just a quick overview:

	+ Filters based on time/# events/message/thread/NDC/logger/level
	+ Supports XML log files
	+ Ability to define 'systems' which filter based on logger name
	+ Tree browsing of systems and log events in each system
	+ Detail Panel displaying full log event data in HTML format
(configurable)
	+ Add/Remove log files and directories

On a related note, I also have a Log4J configuration GUI which allows tree
browsing of loggers and display of logger configurations - with some limited
configuration. It doesn't support saving the modified configuration though
(kind of a big task).

Anyway, just curious if there is an interest....

scott

_______________________________
Scott Klein
L-3 Communications

"Smoking helps you lose weight -- one lung at a time!"
 -- Alfred E. Neuman

Re: Log4J Log Viewer GUI (a la LogFactor5)

Posted by RB...@dtint.com.
Scott,

I'm just some random developer out there in the world...but I for one
would be interested in seeing this product in action.  Any screen shots,
etc?

Richard