Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Torben Knerr <de...@gmail.com> on 2009/03/27 09:38:08 UTC

Is it possible to automatically release SNAPSHOT project dependencies?

Hi all,

we have "AppA" and "AppB", both having a dependency to "Common".

All of these are under active development and using SNAPSHOT versions:
AppA: 2.2-SNAPSHOT ==> Common: 2.3-SNAPSHOT
AppB: 2.1-SNAPSHOT ==> Common: 2.3-SNAPSHOT

Further, we want to have weekly releases of AppA. The release version should
be 2.2.0.v20090327 while development version stays at 2.2-SNAPSHOT.

When trying to release:prepare this then the release plugin will complain
that AppA has a reference to Common-2.3-SNAPSHOT and that we have to update
this snapshot version. It even asks me whether to release Common-2.3 and
update the dev version to Common-2.4-SNAPSHOT.

The problem here is that the only option is to release "Common-2.3", which I
do not want. What I would rather want is to release "Common-2.3.0.v20090326"
instead of "Common-2.3".

Is that possible by any means?

Thanks and best regards,
Torben

Re: Is it possible to automatically release SNAPSHOT project dependencies?

Posted by Torben Knerr <de...@gmail.com>.
Yes, currently we
1) are building Common-2.3.0.v20090327 first using release:prepare (next dev
version remains Common-2.3-SNAPHOT), then
2) we change the pom of AppA-2.0-SNAPSHOT to depend on
Common-2.3.0.v20090327 (instead of Common-2.3-SNAPSHOT), then
3) we build AppA-2.2.0.v20090327 using release:prepare (next dev version
remains App-2.2-SNAPHOT), then
4) after the release we change back the dependency from AppA-2.2-SNAPHOT to
Common-2.3-SNAPSHOT again

Actually I thought this is something which the maven-release-plugin could do
in one step,
because everytime we have a weekly release of AppA or AppB we will also
release Common in the same version as AppA/B.

Odd that this is not supported as this seems to be a quite common situation
to have such a project structure... :-/

I will also have a look on versions-maven-plugin...

Thanks and best regards,
Torben

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.