Posted to users@servicemix.apache.org by andy <an...@internode.com.au> on 2012/02/14 05:33:33 UTC

Re: Stripping down a ServiceMix installation for compact redeployment?

Hi ServiceMix users,

I admit this is an old thread, but I'm dealing with the same problem. I
think the key is how to decide whether or not a bundle is in use and I
identified some possible hooks:

A bundle is in use if any of its exports are imported by another bundle
It is also in use if any of its services are in use
It may be in use if it is a host for a fragment

Remains the question if that would be sufficient and how to deal with a
bunch of bundles which belong together. What do you think?

Andy

RE: Stripping down a ServiceMix installation for compact redeployment?

Posted by Andreas Junius <AJ...@internode.com.au>.
I went in the same direction too. I created a command which spits out all bundles on which a particular one depends on. So, I start with a container containing a full set of bundles, run my app and print the dependency list afterwards. Then I start with a SMX container containing only the system bundles and add the bundles on the list. That works quite well.

Finding unused bundles is nevertheless an issue - someone else may add a bundle and decide not to use it...
So I created a command which prints for a bundle, which packages it exports, which one is importing it, the same for services and it tests if it is a host to some fragments. The output is still just a hint, one has to figure out a bundles purpose manually. I can't see a way to remove "unused" bundles automatically.

This isn't a direct answer to your question, but it's in the same line.

I have found that I get good and quick results by going in the opposite direction. That is, I start with my own code, deploy it, watch it fail to start (and why), then use SMX's Karaf feature system to incrementally install just enough SMX to get my integration up and running. In truth, I'm not getting a totally minimal system by so doing, but I am getting pretty quick results, and for my purposes, it's very helpful to be able to simply record the features I needed to install and then use that list to create a feature repository for my own project.

- ---
A. Soroka
Software & Systems Engineering
Online Library Environment