Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Chris <ap...@coolarrow.com> on 2005/11/11 21:39:50 UTC

[users@httpd] mod_rewrite.so: Undefined symbol "apr_thread_mutex_lock"

FreeBSD 5.4 running Apache 2.1.8

I have Apache running just fine, but at some point since the time I started the server on November 3, and now, something has happened which prevents me from doing a 'restart' of the server.

The log shows it starting okay about a week ago:

[Thu Nov 03 02:26:54 2005] [notice] caught SIGTERM, shutting down
[Thu Nov 03 02:26:58 2005] [notice] Digest: generating secret for digest authentication ...
[Thu Nov 03 02:26:58 2005] [notice] Digest: done
[Thu Nov 03 02:26:58 2005] [notice] Apache/2.1.8 (FreeBSD) DAV/2 mod_ssl/2.1.8 OpenSSL/0.9.8a configured -- resuming normal operations

Today I decided to restart the server. Much to my surprise, it wouldn't restart:

Performing sanity check on apache21 configuration:
httpd: Syntax error on line 10 of /usr/local/etc/apache21/httpd.conf: Syntax error on line 11 of /usr/local/etc/apache21/modules.conf: Cannot load /usr/local/libexec/apache21/mod_rewrite.so into server: /usr/local/libexec/apache21/mod_rewrite.so: Undefined symbol "apr_thread_mutex_lock"

I'm assuming the apr stuff has to do with the apr-nothr-db4-1.2.2_1 package that is installed, and I do remember something about needing to deinstall that before I could compile and install Apache. It seems like I had to reinstall that apr package AFTER the Apache package was successfully installed, and I discovered that this workaround was a known issue.

But I'm not sure why I'm now getting an error message that hadn't surfaced when I initially fired up Apache... I would love to hear any ideas on what went wrong, and/or how to fix this problem.

Yes, it's a beta version of Apache, but this "production" server only serves some non-profit stuff for the most part, and can withstand some problems and/or downtime.

Thanks!
Chris